University of Alaska Anchorage
In the Spotlight
- Bachelor Global Logistics Supply Chain Management, minor Alaska Native Business Management (ANBM) – expected graduation 2019
- Appointed to the NANA Elders Settlement Trust Board of Trustees 2017
- “NANA has a saying ‘2 worlds, 1 spirit’ and that is what I take from the ANBM minor. We live the Inupiaq lifestyle of hunting, gathering our food, and connecting with our land. We also are in the western corporate world where the businesses focus is to benefit their shareholders and protect their land.”
- “The ANBM minor has definitely helped me with my role as a trustee. I learned the technical side of how a board is operated. I learn by understanding the big picture, so this minor program has helped me understand the bigger picture of how the regional corporations were created and why they operate the way they do. I then use my knowledge of our culture and combine the two.”
- Bachelor in Accounting and Management, minor Alaska Native Business Management (ANBM)
- Became a shareholder of BSNC in 2017. Elected President of Native Student Council in 2018
- While taking BA A202 Alaska Native Organizations, Tamaira realized she wanted to be part of Bering Straits Native Corportation. She asked for and received shares from her grandmother in 2017.
- “The minor program is an excellent experience for both my personal and professional life. I have a newfound respect for the leaders who helped establish ANCSA and the Alaska Native Corporations; I understand the struggles they experienced and overcame. I am able to take what I am learning in the classroom and directly relate and apply it to my role as an employee and shareholder of BSNC. The classes in the minor program have taught me the importance of being aware of what the corporation is doing, not only as a business, but for its shareholders as well."
Contact the Alaska Natives Team
The University of Alaska is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. The University of Alaska does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination.