This morning, our Facilities and Campus Services team was made aware of a pothole that shut down the westbound lanes of Northern Lights Boulevard between UAA Drive and Career Center Drive. It has since been upgraded to a sinkhole, and the lanes will remain closed for an undetermined amount of time while crews repair the damage. We anticipate the closure will extend through the week.
Finals week is a very stressful time for students. Students, please know that your professors have been made aware of the situation. Please communicate with them any delays you may experience due to this issue. We know this is an unexpected traffic challenge. Please take a deep breath. We want you to have a smooth and safe finals week.
Risk and Safety Solutions (RSS)
RSS is almost ready!
Tutorials and links to YouTube vidoes are available to UAA employees, using your UA credentials to log-in to Google.
A mobile app for your smartphone or tablet takes advantage of the QR sticker technology. Scan the QR code and all the chemical and safety information for that container appear on your device!
RSS link will appear here in January.
Demonstrations and Workshops
Faculty who use demonstrations in class are asked to read the NSTA Guidelines and fill out the Demonstration SOP. Please use the Academic Year designation, e.g. AY18, for the date. For demonstraions or workshops outside of a class, use the actual date of the demonstration on the Demonstration SOP form.
|Chemical Hygiene Plan||2019||Chemical Purchasing|
|Lab Access Policy||2016||Students with Service Animals|
|Radioactive Waste Policy||4/8/2010|
|Research Lab Policy||6/13/2012|
|Laboratory Hazardous Waste Policy||4/5/2012|
|Dry Ice Policy||2017||OSHA Quick Facts|
|Laboratory SOP Template||2019||Chemical Hazard Assessment form|
|Demonstration SOP Template||2017||NSTA Demo Guidelines|
|Formaldehyde SOP||2017||OSHA Fact Sheet|
|Hazardous Waste Labels||2017||Container Labels|
- ACS - Identifying and Evaluating Hazards in Research Labs (pdf) the American Chemical Society
- AKOSH PADS
- BD Bionutrients Technical Manual, media Safety Data Sheets and other resources are available at BD's Microbiology Solutions Resource Library.
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (pdf) the Centers for Disease Control
- Compressed Gas Cylinder Sizes (doc) describes the various types of cylinders available for most compressed gases. It also compares cylinder sizes among several gas companies.
- Difco BBL Manual, 2nd edition (pdf)
- DuPont SafeSpec 2.0
- Fisher chemical stockroom handbook (pdf)
- Guidelines for Biosafety in Teaching Laboratories (pdf) the American Society for Microbiology
- Laboratory Safety Institute
- National Cancer Institute Lab Biosafety and SOP Guide (pdf)
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards
- National Science Teaching Association (NSTA) page
- NSTA Demonstration Safety Guidelines (pdf) NSTA guidelines for producing safe science demonstrations.
- Plastics Technical Guide (pdf) ThermoFisher Nalgene
- Prudent Practices in the Laboratory: Handling and Management of Chemical Hazards
- PubChem Laboratory Chemical Safety Summary (LCSS)
- Safety in Academic Chemistry Laboratories, 8th edition (pdf)
- Science Laboratory Safety Manual The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- UN Purple Book, Rev.7 Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS).
- UAA Policy Library
Personal Protective Information (Gloves) and Chemical Storage Information will be updated as information changes, as the law requires, and as time permits.
Use Internet Explorer (IE) to open links, if you use Chrome download Foxit (its free) and make it your default pdf reader.
Report any broken links to EHSRMS.