FE/FS Exam Information
FE/FS Exam Information
The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam is designed for students who are close to finishing an undergraduate engineering degree. The Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exam is designed for students who are close to finishing an undergraduate degree in surveying.
Both exams are administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) and require approval by the Alaska State Board of Registration for Architects, Engineers, and Land Surveyors (AELS) prior to registration.
*As of May 25th, 2017, examinees will no longer have to apply to the AELS Board for approval to sit the FE and FS Exams*
The FE and FS exams are now offered year-round as computer-based exams at Pearson VUE testing centers.Visit the NCEES website for information about exam schedule and registration.
- You must have 75% of your course work completed in order to apply. This is about 99 credits of the approximate 132 required credits for your degree.
- Complete and have notarized the FS/FE exam application form provided by the AELS Board. Pay the $100 application fee. You will find additional
forms and information under the "Applicants & Registrants" header on the left side
of the AELS webpage. The applications are accepted on a rolling basis and there are no longer deadlines.
- Send an e-mail with your student ID number and major to your departmental administrative assistant informing them that you have applied for the exam through AELS. They will then send
a confirmation letter to the State AELS Board verifying that you have completed 75%
of your coursework.
- Once your application has been approved by the State AELS Board, you will be notified
to register for the exam through NCEES. You will then register and pay the $225 exam
fee at the NCEES Alaska registration website. Only then will you be able to schedule
the examination based on openings at the testing center.
- Scores from the exam will be sent to you by NCEES within 7-10 days. The score will
remain on file with the AELS Board. The AELS Board in Alaska does not issue Engineer-in-Training
or Land-Surveyor-in-Training licenses, but you will be able to use this title once
you have passed the exam. Along with your approval notice, the AELS Board will give
you more information on what to do if you need to retake the exam.
For further information please contact:
Alaska Board of Architects, Engineers, & Surveyors