School of Education
We prepare educators and support the lifelong learning of professionals to embrace diversity and to be intellectually and ethically strong, resilient, and passionate in their work with Alaska's learners, families, and communities.Getting Started
UAA School of Education Accreditation
- Advanced Programs - 4 pm online in Collaborate Ultra (Dr. Tim Jester)
571-392-7650 PIN: 704 950 2724
- Elementary Education - 5 pm PSB 217 (Dr. Ira Ortega)
The Alaska Department of Education and Early Development (DEED) announced in a January 15 press release that its Certification Office will accept recommendations from UAA’s School of Education for students completing their initial licensure during the spring 2019 and summer 2019 semesters. Please see DEED's Facebook page.
UAA School of Education administrators will meet with AK DEED officials on January 22, 2019 to begin the process of making a formal request to the State Board of Education and Early Development to allow initial licensure from UAA for future graduates.
Please view this Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about the School of Education’s accreditation status.
Here is the latest video from Chancellor Sandeen.
The School of Education has been working diligently to achieve re-accreditation by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP). We received notification on Friday, January 11, that CAEP has revoked accreditation of initial licensure programs at the School of Education at UAA.
Initial Licensure Programs affected by the CAEP decision
- Early Childhood Bachelor of Arts
- Early Childhood Post-Baccalaureate Certification
- Elementary Bachelor of Arts
- Elementary Post-Baccalaureate Certification
- Master of Arts in Teaching Certification Program
- Special Education Initial Certification
- Early Childhood Special Education Initial Certification
Programs not affected by the CAEP decision
- Early Childhood Associate of Applied Science
- Educational Leadership MEd and Grad Certification
- Master of Education in Teaching & Learning
- Language Education Grad Certification
- Speech-Language Pathology Programs
- Special Education, MEd & Grad Certification--(Special Education track that is not initial certification)
- Early Childhood Special Education, MEd--(EC Special Education tracks that are not initial certification)
- PACE 500 level courses
- Hsing-wen Hu, Department of Teaching and Learning, Department Chair
- Tim Jester, Department of Graduate Studies in Education and Leadership, Department Chair
- Jennifer Greene, Professional and Continuing Education, Enrollment and Operational Services Coordinator
- Leah Brown, Coordinator of Assessment and Accreditation