Medical School M.D.
Explore the medical school doctoral degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
In partnership with the University of Washington School of Medicine, UAA is the Alaska
regional site for WWAMI School of Medicine, a collaborative, high-quality medical
school with a focus on community health care that has trained more than 500 physicians
and surgeons since 1971.
Medical school scholarships and financial aid
Apply for financial aid through the University of Washington School of Medicine. Read more about Alaska WWAMI in the UAA course catalog.
University of Washington School of Medicine (UWSOM)
Ranked No. __ among the top medical schools in the nation, the University of Washington School of Medicine is also LCME-accredited. UWSOM is one of the best medical schools for primary care and rural health care in the U.S. Alaska WWAMI med school students pay in-state resident tuition to UWSOM.
Get your medical schooling from WWAMI in Alaska, and you can take nearly all of your clerkships within the state to focus your training on the unique health care needs of Alaska’s diverse populations.
Student activities and clubs
Join UAA’s student chapter of the American Medical Association or other special interest groups on campus to participate in service projects, professional networking and local events in Alaska.
Did you know..
WWAMI School of Medicine is a collaboration between campuses of five northwestern states: Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho. The curriculum at each site has been standardized and is compatible with the University of Washington School of Medicine curriculum.
What can you do with a medical school doctoral degree from UAA?
Medical doctors, especially primary care doctors in rural areas, are in high demand
in Alaska, as well as throughout the U.S.
Medical school careers
UAA/UW alumni from the Alaska track are employed across the state at doctors’ offices, medical clinics, academic institutions and government organization.
By the numbers..
Medical school doctoral degree program highlights
With a focus on primary and rural health care, the Alaska WWAMI collaborative graduate program for medical schooling provides flexibility as you pursue your career goals with advanced patient care training, electives and other experiences that help you transition into residency training.
- Participate in summer clinical internships. Opportunities can be found all across the state, from Barrow to Unalaska, with more than 200 physicians in Alaska teaching WWAMI medical students.
- Engage in active learning with small groups. Alaska WWAMI provides a greater focus on independent, life-long learning skills you’ll need to collaborate, grow and succeed in a rapidly changing health care environment.
- Receive guidance from faculty instructors and professional primary care physicians. Their specialties include biochemistry, physiology, immunology, microbiology, infectious disease, pathology, the cardiovascular system, pulmonary and renal medicine, the gastrointestinal tract, neuroscience and psychiatry, endocrinology, reproduction, hematology and cancer.
- Conduct graduate research while working alongside program faculty who are also medical scientists. Researchers at UAA are active in medical studies related to health disparities, cancer and community engagement.
Medical school doctoral degree program curriculum
WWAMI Alaska’s innovative curriculum focuses on competency through three integrated phases:
- The Foundations Phase connects scientific and clinical knowledge in medicine to show how they interrelate and build on one another.
- The Patient Care Phase emphasizes clinical training and experience in real-world practice settings.
- The Explore and Focus Phase helps students narrow down their areas of interest and future career options.
As an Alaska WWAMI medical student, you’ll take classes for the first two years of medical school at UAA, then complete six-week blocks of clinical clerkships during the third and fourth years of medical school in Alaska, Seattle and throughout the WWAMI region.