Alaska WWAMI Eligibility
Applicants to the Alaska WWAMI Program must complete the required Alaska WWAMI Eligibility Form and submit it, with the required documentation, to the UAA WWAMI School of Medical Education Office.
Eligibility for the WWAMI program in Alaska has been defined by the University of Alaska Board of Regents as guided by the Alaska Administrative Code (AAC). WWAMI eligibility is not synonymous with Alaska residency or eligibility for a Permanent Fund Dividend.
20 AAC 19.030. A participant in the WWAMI program must maintain at all times the intent to return to Alaska upon completion of the program, and:
For purposes of whether absences are allowable as described in this section, a participant may not have taken any action to establish residence in another state. (Eff. 10/23/99, Register 152; am 7/12/2008, Register 187)
To be eligible under exceptions (A), (B), (C), or (D), the applicant must have physically resided in Alaska for at least two consecutive years immediately before the absence.
The Alaska WWAMI Eligibility Committee will accept the following as allowable absences for purposes of Alaska WWAMI Eligibility under exception (2)(D) above:
- Continuation of a research project begun while the applicant was a full-time student
- Work pertinent to medicine in a medical care clinic or research laboratory or clinic such as NIH, CDC, or University based.
- Pertinent work in an international health facility, whether research or care-delivery based
- Living outside of Alaska in order to enroll in an MCAT preparatory course (student
may only remain "Outside" for the duration of the course)
NOTE: Such courses are normally shorter than 12 weeks in duration.
- Seasonal employment or vacations outside of Alaska, as long as residency is not established outside of Alaska
- AmeriCorps, Teach for America, or similar program.
The Alaska WWAMI Program Eligibility Committee will consider the evidence submitted with the application and will determine whether the Alaska WWAMI eligibility requirements have been met. The applicant bears the burden of proving that the eligibility requirements have been met.
The Alaska WWAMI Eligibility Form can be downloaded here, in Acrobat/PDF format, or obtained directly from the UAA WWAMI School of Medical Education office. NOTE: Supporting documentation must be included with your Alaska WWAMI Eligibility Form. Please supply as much documentation as possible when you submit your form. Requests for additional documentation may delay the eligibility certification process.