Frequently Asked Questions - Parents


How will UAA communicate with me as a parent?

Your student will be your primary link to the university. We will communicate directly with your student about anything that might affect his or her educational experience; you can learn about these communications by talking with your student directly.

How can I get a copy of my student's grades?

The quickest, easiest way for parents to receive information about their child's grades, financial statement, or other student information is to approach your son or daughter directly. Students can look up information online, print it off, and give or e-mail a copy to their parents. Student records are available through UAOnline.   
Are there release forms that would give me access to grades and financial information?
  • Authorization to Release Education Record Information: A student may file this document to allow someone other than themselves access to their student records.
  • Directory Information Withhold Request: By submitting this form or going into UAOnline and selecting confidentiality for their records, a student may, in essence, lock their records. If a confidentiality block is placed on a student record only the student, in person, with picture identification may transact business or review educational information.
  • Proxy for Registration: Using this form the student may give another individual the authority to transact registration business on their behalf.
Who else gets to see my child's educational records?
To protect your child's privacy, the university is generally prohibited from disclosing personally identifiable information about your child without their written consent.

Exceptions to this rule include:
  • disclosures made to school officials with legitimate educational interest 
  • disclosures made to another school at which the student intends to enroll
  • disclosures made to state or local education authorities for auditing or evaluating federal- or state-supported education programs, or enforcing federal laws that relate to those programs 
  • disclosures including information the school has designated as "directory information" 
What is directory information?

FERPA defines "directory information" as information contained in a student's education record that generally would not be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed.

Directory information at UAA includes:

  • name 
  • electronic mail address
  • dates of attendance 
  • program/major fields of study
  • degrees and certificates received including dates
  • participation in university activities
  • weight and height (student athletes)
  • hometown city and state (student athletes)
A university may disclose directory information to anyone, without consent, if it has given general notice of the information it has designated as "directory information".
Where can I find out more information about FERPA?
FERPA is enforced by the U.S. Department of Education. The Department maintains a FERPA website (with links to FERPA regulations) at:
What does it mean to say a record is "protected" by FERPA?
Unless personally identifiable information from a students education record falls under a specified exception, the information cannot be released to third parties (including parents) without signed and dated written consent from the student.
Will I be notified if my student is put on academic probation, or is subject to a academic dismissal?
No. Information about grades and academic standing is sent directly to students. You can, of course, ask your child to keep you informed aobut his or her academic performance.
How will I know if my student is subject to University disciplinary action?
The University disciplinary system is administered by the Dean of Students Office. Staff members routinely urge students to inform their parents if they are accused of any disciplinary offense. Students can also authorize release of all the information in their disciplinary files. A copy of the file can then be sent to a parent or legal guardian, upon request.
Who can parents call if they have additional questions about student privacy rights at the University of Alaska Anchorage? 
We suggest you contact Lora Volden, University Registrar, at (907) 786-1560.