Steps to Entering the US
- Admission + Financial Supporting Documents = I-20 Certificate of Eligibility
- I-20 + I-901 SEVIS Fee + DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application = Visa Interview
- Visa Interview + Visa Processing = Visa Stamp in Passport
- Visa Stamp + Passport + I-20 + Flight to US + CBP approval to enter the US = I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
Things to Do Before Coming to the US
- Obtain and Gather Vaccine, Immunization and other Health Records
- If you will be staying in student housing, refer to the Residence Life Move-in Guide
for information on immunizations and the check-in process.
- Choose where you want to live in Anchorage
- Read about Anchorage’s climate and prepare for a plan to get belongings you may need
when you arrive ad for your first semester at UAA
- Do you have an international phone card or a US Sim Card for your phone?
- Have a plan for your first few days in Anchorage
- Where will you stay until your housing is ready?
- Do you know how you will get from the airport to your initial destination?
- Taxis will be at the Airport
- You can request an Uber or Lyft on your phone/mobile app
- Make sure all your documents (passport, visa, I-20) are up-to-date, organized, and
with you on your carry-on luggage
- You cannot enter the US more than 30 days before your program start date
- Choose a flight that will arrive in Anchorage by the Monday before classes begin.
- If you will be living on campus, the Monday before classes begin is the earliest check-in
date for international students attending orientation.
Three Important Things to Make Sure You Have Set Before Coming to UAA
- A place to stay
- Registration for Classes
- A plan for how you will pay for school