You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

International Students & Taxes


International students may not use TurboTax or any other resident tax preparation software as non-resident tax forms must be mailed to the appropriate address.

E-filing Non-Resident Tax Forms is not permitted.

US taxes are filed every year for the previous year's earnings.  Persons in the US at any point in a calendar year are required to provide the IRS with tax documentation the following year.

F-1 and J-1 students are able to apply for an exemption to be treated as non-residents for US tax purposes.  Persons are able to apply for this exemption up to 5 times in their life.  This exemption must be formally requested by providing form 8843 to the IRS.

Persons who have been in the US more than 5 calendar years should seek professional tax advice and will use the Substantial Presence Test to determine if they are a resident for tax purposes.

Students with No Income

Students who were in the US for any part of the year and have not worked in the US, and who have not had any scholarship provided to them during the year, should compete and file Form 8843 with the IRS by June 15 the following year.

Students with Income

Students who worked in the US during any part of the year must file a 1040NR/EZ and form 8843 by April 15 of the following year. Instructions and Forms 1040-NR-EZ may be found at

If students want assistance in completing their forms, students may use Sprintax (, Glacier Tax Prep ( or go to H&R Block (a tax preparation business). There is a fee associated with these services.

A short video is available regarding non-resident taxes you may find helpful.

Student Athletes

When student athletes receive scholarships they must obtain an ITIN number in order to complete their required filing with the IRS.  There are limited agencies that provide assistance.  Please visit this link for more information.

Students who have received a scholarship that includes money for room and board will receive a 1042-S in March from UA and must file a 1040NR/EZ and form 8843 by April 15 of the following year.

All other scholarship recipients must file a Form 8843 by June 15 of the following year.