University of Alaska Anchorage
Aspire to learn. Invest in students. Evolve your pedagogy.
UAA faculty have been doing amazing things to keep their courses going and students learning! For more help teaching online, visit:
- Instructional Strategies and Resources for guides, how-to videos, best practices, and webinar recordings
- Learning management system: Blackboard Learn is our virtual learning environment. Learn more about this tool on our Blackboard Support page and Blackboard Learn Help.
- Productivity: Google Drive and Office 365 are free for UAA students, faculty, and staff. See all UAA Core Tools.
- Web conferencing: Collaborate Ultra and Zoom work well for online class meetings and are built into Blackboard. Learn more about web conferencing.
- ePortfolios at UAA: eWolf ePortfolios work well for team writing, peer feedback, and reflection along with traditional showcase portfolios. See the New Folio 411 or Digication Help Desk.
#Pivot 2 Professional Development *new*
Summer Accessibility Series (online in Zoom)
- July 8, 2020, 10 AM: Accessible Slide Presentations
- July 22, 2020, 10 AM: Using Accessibility Checkers to Fix Your Documents
- August 5, 2020, 10 AM: VoiceThread and Accessibility
- Recording of Creating Accessible New Documents
Quality Matters "dedicated" workshops coming to UAA this fall
- Designing your Online Course *new*
- Improving your Online Course
- Applying the Quality Matters Rubric
Video Captioning Offer
AI&e is thrilled to offer all UAA faculty access to video captioning for course video, done by humans to the 99% level, at no cost to you or your department. Captioning is done through 3Play Media. The process is simple:
- Log into Blackboard, click UAA tab
- Click My Media (Kaltura)
- Click Add New, Media Upload, choose video file to upload
- Name, add tags, and save
Next, submit your request for captions using this UAA Video Captioning Form. AI&e’s funding for this service has been extended to January 2021.
Screencast-O-Matic is a popular web-based tool that allows you to quickly and easily create screencast videos for instruction. The Pro level version of Screencast-O-Matic has no recording length limit and easy editing options. You can access the AI&e Pro version with these instructions. The free version of Screencast-o-Matic is a great option for your students. Visit the Screencast-o-Matic tutorials for assistance or contact AI&e’s Instructional Designer team at firstname.lastname@example.org. General information about other tools that you can use to create, caption, and share videos on our Creating Videos page.
UAA Faculty / Staff Calendar