Academic Innovations & eLearning
Aspire to learn. Invest in students. Evolve your pedagogy.
If you're working on revising your course, instructional designers can help you think through design questions and identify academic technologies to support you and your students. AI&e staff are currently working remotely. Email the ID team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Instructional Strategies and Resources: guides, how-to videos, best practices, and webinar recordings.
- Blackboard is our virtual learning environment. Learn more on our Blackboard Support page and Blackboard Help.
- Syllabus: Create a Syllabus that works for you and your students.
- Productivity: Google Drive and Office 365 are free for UAA students, faculty, and staff.
- Web conferencing: Collaborate Ultra and Zoom work well for online class meetings. Learn more about web conferencing.
- ePortfolios at UAA: eWolf ePortfolios work well for team writing, peer feedback, and reflection along with traditional showcase portfolios. See the New Folio 411 or Digication Help Desk.
- Academic technology tools: Compare teaching tools using our Tools Comparison sheet. See all UAA Core Tools.
- Trail Guides: Trail Guides are modules faculty may use to help with online course design and development. Save your completion certificates if you are working towards an Online Teaching Certificate.
Quality Matters provides guidelines for online course design and professional development to support your course design efforts. Workshops for the UA System, delivered in collaboration by AI&e and UAF's eCampus, are being held virtually via Zoom and are typically offered two or three times a year.
- May 13: Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR). This is a rigorous workshop for faculty, administrators, and staff to become
familiar with the QM Rubric and the course review process. Participants will learn
to apply the concept of alignment and draft helpful recommendations for course improvement.
Thursday, May 13 from 8:30am to 5pm virtual on Zoom: Register for APPQMR
- May 25 & 27: Improving Your Online Course (IYOC). This workshop is an opportunity for faculty to learn about the Quality Matters rubric and peer review process by applying the 23 essential standards to one of their own courses. Participants MUST have a developed course shell (in Blackboard or other online location) to work on for completing a Self-Review, implementing some of the design changes, and reflecting on their own blended or online course design. Tuesday & Thursday May 25 & 27 from 9am to 12pm virtual on Zoom: Register for IYOC
Pivot 3: Self-Paced Course Design & Development is available. This shell makes all resources developed for #Pivot and #Pivot 2 available to you to use at your own pace as you work on your course for Spring 2021. Check it out!
The UAA Teaching Academy is held twice a year, in August (Fall Teaching Academy) and January (Winter Teaching Academy). Recordings and materials from past sessions are available in a self-enrolling Blackboard course.
Video Captioning Offer
AI&e is thrilled to offer all UAA faculty access to video captioning for course video, done by humans to the 99% level, at no cost to you or your department. Captioning is done through 3Play Media. The process is simple:
- Log into Blackboard, click UAA tab
- Click My Media (Kaltura)
- Click Add New, Media Upload, choose video file to upload
- Name, add tags, and save
Next, submit your request for captions using this UAA Video Captioning Form. AI&e’s funding for this service has been extended through May 2021.
Screencast-O-Matic is a popular web-based tool that allows you to quickly and easily create screencast videos for instruction. The Pro level version of Screencast-O-Matic has no recording length limit and easy editing options. You can access the AI&e Pro version with these instructions. The free version of Screencast-o-Matic is a great option for your students. Visit the Screencast-o-Matic tutorials for assistance or contact AI&e’s Instructional Designer team at email@example.com. Our Creating Videos page includes general information about other tools that you can use to create, caption, and share videos.
UAA Faculty / Staff Calendar