Speech-language pathology post-baccalaureate certificate
Explore the speech-language pathology post-baccalaureate certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Designed for professionals who have already earned bachelor’s degrees, the post-bachelor
certificate prepares you for application to graduate programs in speech-language pathology.
It also enables you to obtain information that will facilitate communication with
and service delivery for individuals with speech, language, cognitive or hearing impairment.
Online classes and opportunities for clinical observation are available.
What you’ll learn in the speech-language pathology certificate program
This program teaches you about the anatomical and physical processes involved in normal communication development as well as identification and treatment of communication and swallowing disorders in children and adults. You’ll also learn about the impact of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds on speech and language development.
Speech-language pathology scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs by applying for a variety of scholarship and financial aid opportunities through the School of Education and other state and local organizations. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
UAA offers the only speech-language pathology programs in Alaska.
What can you do with a speech-language pathology certificate from UAA?
Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) are specialists in communication and swallowing
disorders and often work in schools, clinics and medical settings. Speech-language
pathologists are in high demand, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimating a
job growth rate of 21 percent, much faster than the national average for all occupations.
Speech-language pathology graduate programs
UAA offers an affiliated M.S. in communication sciences and disorders program with East Carolina University (ECU). The program includes a wide range of training and clinical experiences that meet the requirements for certification in speech-language pathology from the Council for Clinical Certification (CFCC) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Academic coursework is completed via distance delivery by ECU, while clinical internships are completed through UAA in Alaska. Learn more about the M.S. in communication sciences and disorders program.
Speech-language pathology post-baccalaureate certificate program highlights
Complete the coursework you need to apply to graduate programs and ultimately pursue a career in speech-language pathology. The following are some of the top reasons to choose UAA for your post-bachelor certificate in speech-language pathology.
- Prepare for your master’s degree in speech-language pathology. When you complete the post-bachelor certificate, you’ll be ready for graduate study and eventual careers in speech-language pathology. The certificate includes all of the course requirements to apply for UAA’s affiliated graduate program in communications sciences and disorders through East Carolina University (ECU).
- Earn your post-bachelor certificate in a flexible and collaborative online program. UAA speech-language pathology courses are offered via distance delivery using Blackboard learning management system and Blackboard Collaborate interactive web conferencing.
- Learn from top faculty. UAA instructors are highly experienced speech-language pathologists who have worked in diverse clinical settings and bring extensive speech therapy knowledge and experience to the program.
- Take part in valuable field experiences. Observation opportunities are available in education, clinical and medical settings.
Speech-language pathology post-baccalaureate certificate program curriculumThe post-bachelor certificate in speech-language pathology covers topics such as anatomy, physiology and neural development of speech, language and hearing, speech and language development across the lifespan, phonetics, aural rehabilitation and audiology. The 24-credit program includes all of the prerequisites required to apply to the affiliated online master’s degree program in communication sciences and disorders with East Carolina University.
Top classes for speech-language pathology students
- Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Hearing
- Language Development Across the Lifespan
- Aural Rehabilitation
- Neurological Foundations of Speech and Hearing