Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Background & Purpose
The UAA Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) was established by the UAA Chancellor and charged with oversight of all animal use at the University of Alaska Anchorage. The primary purpose of this committee is to ensure compliance with national policies protecting the welfare of laboratory and field research animals.
These policies, regulations, and guidelines include, but are not limited to: the Animal Welfare Act, Public Health Service Policies, the Health Research Extension Act, Acceptable Field Methods of Mammalogy, Guidelines for the Use of Wild Birds in Research, Guidelines for the Use of Fishes in Field Research, Guidelines for the Use of Live Amphibians and Reptiles in Field and Laboratory Research, and the Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Research and Teaching.
Responsible conduct of animal research requires knowledge of the requirements and
an empathy towards the animals we use. At the core of this program is the Institutional
Animal Care and Use Committee. The University's goal is to foster a supportive environment
for high quality research, education, and service while ensuring that all use of live
vertebrates is adequately justified and conducted by knowledgeable people using the
most appropriate methodology.
- U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate Animals Used in Testing, Research, and Training.
- The Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) has created a brochure for PIs and their compliance responsibilities entitled What Investigators Need to Know About the Use of Animals.
- The National Academies of Science, Institute of Laboratory Animal Research, 2009 publication
"Recognition and Alleviation of Pain in Laboratory Animals"
- New link from OLAW entitled PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals - Frequently Asked Questions.
- USDA Animal Plant Health Inspection Service, Animal Care Program
I need to...
- complete IACUC training through CITI
- submit a research protocol for IACUC review
- report an allegation of noncompliance
I want to know more about...