Good news, Seawolves! The Administration/Humanities Building is officially open for normal business and classes as of Monday, Oct. 14. Thanks to faculty and staff for their flexibility working from temporary locations and students for their flexibility attending courses in alternate classrooms.
Special thanks to our amazing Facilities and Campus Services team and partners AMC Engineers, Vannoy Electric, North Form and Lake View for their work to get the building back up and running so quickly.
Energy Saving Tips
- TURN OFF LIGHTS. Turn off lights if natural daylight is sufficient and when you leave a room.
- SWITCH TO CFL BULBS. Compact florescent lamps (CFLs) use 75 percent less energy and last 6-10X longer than incandescent bulbs.
- TURN OFF COMPUTERS, PRINTERS AND PROJECTORS. Activate power management features to a low power mode when not in use. During the day, use "sleep", "stand-by" or "hibernate" mode instead of a screen saver. At the end of the day, don't just log off, shut-down!
- MONITORS MATTER, TOO! Use low-wattage LCD flat screens vs. CRT monitors. In some cases, the energy-consumption of an average LCD display can be half to two-thirds of that for an average CRT. Turn off when not in use.
- USE POWER STRIPS. Electronics still draw "phantom load" electricity when left plugged in, but not in use. These devices include TV's, monitors, speakers, printers, scanners, DVD players, cellphone chargers, etc. Invest in a power strip to control multiple devices with a single switch. Turn the power strip off when devices are not in use.
- TAKE THE STAIRS. Elevators consume electricity while simply moving our bodies doesn't. Use the stairs as often as possible.
- OPEN DOORS MANUALLY. Think twice before using an automated entrance or pushing a handicap access button to open a door. Open doors manually whenever possible.
- ADJUST WINDOW COVERINGS. Make use of window coverings to let light in. Be sure to close them during warmer months to avoid heat build-up when a room is not in use.
- ENGAGE FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION. Remind colleagues and classmates, tell a friend! Get involved in UAA's commitment to sustainability!
- REMEMBER YOUR RESOURCES. UAA Information Technology Services is available to assist you in adjusting your computers power management settings to optimize energy conservation at 786-4646. Report excessive energy use and concerns to Facilities Maintenance at 786-6980.