Conferring emeritus status is an honor granted by the chancellor upon the retirement of a UAA employees who has provided outstanding service to the university. Board of Regents Policy 04.04.070 and 04.07.095
The staff member must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of 10 years of faithful service with the University Alaska;
- Eligible for retirement status; and
- Extraordinary and meritorious contributions to the fulfillment of the mission and programs of the university.
The following items must be submitted for a nominee to be considered:
- Letter of nomination describing the contributions this staff member has made to the university and Anchorage communities that could be described as high quality and beyond the staff member’s job responsibilities. Highlighting the staff member’s initiatives, programs, committee involvement, leadership roles or services they initiated during their employment.
- Minimum of three letters of support from department, staff, faculty, students or community members.
- Comprehensive resume for the staff member.
- Completed nomination form.
Nominations are to be submitted to the Governance Office. The Governance Office will obtain verification of retirement status from Human Resources. The Staff Council will review nominations and forward to the chancellor those being recommended for review/approval.
If emeritus/a is approved by the chancellor, the chancellor shall notify the staff member in writing of his/her approval of the award and its effective date. If the chancellor does not support the nomination, the nominator shall be informed in writing.