Summer Engineering Academies
2021 Application Is Now Open!
We have good news! The application for the entire lineup of camps for the UAA Summer Engineering Academies is now open, with fun and engaging options for students entering grades 3 thru 12. All camps will be offered virtually, with plans to return to in-person activities in 2022.
About the UAA Summer Engineering Academies
The UAA Summer Engineering Academies are a series of week-long, hands-on instructional sessions for students entering grades 3 through 12 in Anchorage and Mat-Su. Each academy is designed to encourage interest in and provide exposure to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The academies also seek to support historically underserved and underrepresented students.
The academies are divided into 1-week sessions for elementary, middle, and high school students. Each week explores a different topic, including robotics, computer programming, structures, and other engineering fundamentals. Each session is designed to be fun and educational, with ample support provided by the College of Engineering's faculty and staff, who serve as Lead Instructors, and engineering students, who serve as Assistant Instructors. On average, there are 7 students per staff member, allowing for a great deal of one-on-one and small group support.
Above all, the academies prioritize learning, fun, and safety.
For our standard in-person camps, each week-long academy session has a fee of $250 per participant. This fee includes instruction, lunch, and materials. The fee for virtual camps is $100 per participant. Fee waivers are available for students with financial need.
Summer Engineering Academies in the News!
People are talking about us. Here are some stories:
- 2020 Budget News: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/03/02/switch-from-bps-corporate-giving-model-to-hilcorps-employee-contributions-could-be-a-bucket-of-cold-water-for-non-profits/
- 2019 Summer: https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Spotlight-on-youth-Future-engineers-put-their-robotics-skills-to-the-test-525736021.html
- 2018 LEGO Robotics: https://www.ktuu.com/video/?vid=490284561
- 2016 Summer Engineering Academies: http://bit.ly/29AppLm
- 2015 Wing Aerodynamics: http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/35999/learning-what-keeps-us-aloft-when-we-fly/
- 2015 Robotics: http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/35250/kids-find-their-bliss-at-uaa-summer-engineering-academies/
- 2014 Structure Destruction: http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/25251/summer-academies-open-kids-eyes-engineering-possibilities/
- 2014 Summer: http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/UAA-s-Summer-Engineering-Academies/26150066
- 2013 Summer: http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/UAA-Hosts-Engineering-Summer-Camp-for-Middle-School-Students/21065446
Joe Selmont, Director
Summer Engineering Academies