Vinod VasudevanPh.D, P.E.Associate Professor
(907) 786 - 0311
EducationPh.D. Civil Engineering (Transportation), University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), 2008.
M. S. E. Civil Engineering (Transportation), University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), 2003.
B. Tech. Civil Engineering, Calicut University, Kerala, India, 1999
BiographyDr. Vinod Vasudevan is an Associate Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Alaska, Anchorage (UAA). Prior to joining UAA in 2018, he served as a faculty of Civil Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK) for over 8 years, and as an Associate Research Engineer and Program Manager at the University Transportation Center (UTC) at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) for over 6 years. He has over 18 years of research experience in the areas traffic safety, algorithms for LiDAR data, naturalistic driving studies, transportation economics, transportation system planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications, traffic operations, and highway financing. Dr. Vasudevan earned his master’s and doctoral degrees from UNLV. As a faculty of Civil Engineering, he has led 18 courses, including 9 undergraduate courses and has guided over 25 graduate students, including 2 Ph.D. students. He has published over 60 peer-reviewed articles, of which, 23 are journal articles. Dr. Vasudevan has led over 20 research projects worth over $2 million either as a PI or as a co-PI. Dr. Vasudevan has been active professionally. He was elected as the President of ITE Nevada Chapter in 2009. Currently he serves a member of various technical committees at the TRB. Dr. Vasudevan is a registered professional engineer in the state of Nevada.
Research InterestsTraffic safety, connected vehicles, naturalistic driving studies, transportation economics, transportation system planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications, traffic operations, and highway financing.
1. V. Vasudevan (2020), Speed-reducing Measures, The Encyclopedia of Transportation, Elsevier (in press)
2. P. Chakraborty, V. Vasudevan (2015), Public Transportation Systems, The Routledge Handbook of Transportation, Routledge.
Peer-Reviewed Journals (Name of student[s] underlined) Published
1. A. Bhatt, V. Vasudevan, S. Misra (2019), Internal Benchmarking of Inter-city Public Bus Operators in India, Asian Transport Studies, Elsevier Publications. (In press).
2. C. Agrawal, S. Misra, S. Sinha, V. Vasudevan, (2019), Development of Consequence of Failure Index for Water and Wastewater Pipelines, Municipal Engineer, ICE Publications. (In press).
3. N. Goenka, V. Vasudevan, M. Garvin (2018), Pathways to Project Delivery Success and Failure in Indian Road PPP Projects, Journal of Infrastructure, Policy and Development, EnPress Publishing. 2(2), pp 272-285.
4. V. Vasudevan, P. Prakash, B. Sahu (2018), Options Framework and Valuation of Highway Infrastructure under Real and Financial Uncertainties, Journal of Infrastructure Systems, ASCE Publications. 24 (3), pp. 04018014_1-9.
5. V. Vasudevan, A. Rajurkar, R. Soni, A. Tiwari (2018), Design and Evaluation of ‘K-Pass,’ A Bicycle Friendly Modification of Speed Bumps, Transportation Research Record, A Journal of the Transportation Research Board. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118783171.
6. N. Singh, V. Vasudevan (2018), Understanding School Travel Mode Choice- the Case of Kanpur, India, Journal of Transport Geography, Elsevier Publications. 66 (2018), pp 283-290.
7. V. Vasudevan, T. Patel (2017), Comparison of Discomfort Caused by Speed Humps on Bicyclists and Riders of Motorized Two-wheelers, Sustainable Cities and Society, Elsevier Publications. doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2017.08.032.
8. B. Dutta, V. Vasudevan (2017), A Study on Pedestrian Risk Exposure at Unsignalized Intersection in a Country with Extreme Vehicle Heterogeneity and Poor Lane Discipline, Transportation Research Record, A Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Issue 2634, pp. 69–77.
9. R. Chaudhary, V. Vasudevan (2017), Understanding Vehicle Ownership Patterns in Rural and Urban Indian Households, Journal of Transport Geography, Elsevier Publications. 58 (2017), pp. 52-58.
10. T. Patel, V. Vasudevan (2016), Impact of Speed Humps of Bicyclists, Safety Science, Elsevier Publications. 89 (2016), pp 138-146. 11. S. Dash, V. Vasudevan, S.K. Singh (2016), A Piecewise Linear Multinomial Logit Model of Private Vehicle Ownership Behaviour of Indian Households, Transportation in Developed Economies, Springer Publications.2 (17). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40890-016-0022-9.
12. V. Vasudevan, P. Singh, S. Basu (2016), Importance of Awareness in Improving Performance of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Systems in Enhancing Traffic Safety: A Lesson from India, Traffic Injury Prevention, Taylor & Francis Publications.17 (7), pp 699-704.
13. V. Vasudevan, P. Kachroo, N. Bandaru (2015), Night-time Seatbelt Usage Data Collection: When and How Long? IATSS Research, Elsevier Publications. 38 (2), pp 149–156.
14. V. Vasudevan, S. Nambisan (2014), Impacts of Energy Regulations and Vehicular Technologies on Fuel Tax Revenues, Journal of Infrastructure Systems, ASCE Publications, 20(2),04014007.
15. S. Dash, V. Vasudevan, S.K. Singh (2013), A Disaggregate Vehicle Ownership Behaviour Model of Indian Households, Transportation Research Record, A Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Issue 2394, pp 55–62.
16. V. Vasudevan, S. Nambisan (2013), A Model to Estimate Passenger Vehicle Fleet Composition, VMT, and Fuel Consumption, Public Works Management & Policy, Sage Publications. 18 (1), pp 18: 56-81.
17. S. Pulugurtha, V. Vasudevan, S. Nambisan, M. Dangeti (2012), Evaluating Effectiveness of Infrastructure-Based Countermeasures for Pedestrian Safety, Transportation Research Record, A Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Issue 2299, pp 100–109.
18. V. Vasudevan, S. Pulugurtha, S. Nambisan, M. Dangeti (2011), Evaluating the Effectiveness of Signal-based Countermeasures on Pedestrian Safety: Findings from a Pilot Study, Transportation Research Record, A Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Issue 2264, pp 44-53.
19. V. Vasudevan, S. Nambisan, A. K. Singh, T. Pearl (2009), An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Media and Enforcement Campaigns in Increasing Seat Belt Usage Rates in A State with A Secondary Seat Belt Law, Traffic Injury Prevention, Taylor & Francis Group Publications.10 (4), pp 330-339.
20. S. Nambisan, S. Pulugurtha, V. Vasudevan, M. Dangeti, V. Virupaksha (2009), Effectiveness of Automatic Pedestrian Detection Device and Smart Lighting on Pedestrian Safety, Transportation Research Record, A Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Issue 2140, pp 27-34.
21. V. Vasudevan, S. Pulugurtha, S. Nambisan (2007), Methods to Prioritize Pedestrian High Crash Locations and A Statistical Analysis of Relationships Between Them, Transportation Research Record, A Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Issue. 2002, pp 39-54.
22. S. Nambisan, V. Vasudevan (2007), Is Seat Belt Usage by Front Seat Passengers Related to Seat Belt Usage by Their Drivers? Journal of Safety Research, Elsevier Publications. 38 (5), pp 545-555.
23. K. B. Anand, V. Vasudevan, K. Ramamurthy (2003), Water Permeability Assessment of Alternate Masonry Systems, Building and Environment, Elsevier Publications.38 (7), pp 947-957.
Career History/Work Experience2018 – Present: Associate Professor, University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), Anchorage, USA.
2018 – 2018: Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK), Kanpur, UP, India.
2010 – 2018: Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK), Kanpur, UP, India.
2008 – 2010: Associate Research Engineer & Program Manager, Transportation Research Center (TRC)/ Nevada University Transportation Research Center (NUTC), UNLV.
2004 – 2008: Transportations Systems Analyst, TRC/NUTC, UNLV.