Celebration of Graduates - Event Info for Graduates
Each fall and spring the UAA College of Engineering faculty and staff celebrate your hard work and achievement of completing your degrees at our Celebration of Graduates event during which graduates of all seven disciplines including Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Geomatics, Mechanical Engineering, and Project Management are recognized. Graduates of some of the disciplines also have an opportunity to take the oath of the Order of the Engineer and/or the Pledge of the Computing Professional. During our spring event, we may also recognize our College of Engineering Alumni of Achievement award recipients.
We hope that you and your families will join us at the celebration!
Who should attend?: Fall 2023 graduates, family and friends
Date: December 15, 2023 (Friday before Commencement)
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Location: EIB 2nd Floor Solarium (Zoom may be available if you are unable to join us in person)
Dress Code: Business casual is recommended and most common. Cap and gown is not required.
Event Registration: Required to attend. See more information and link to register below.
Order of the Engineer/Pledge of the Computing Professional: Optional. You can sign up when you register.
Day of Event Details: As participants in the celebration, graduates attending in-person will join us in the EIB 2nd Floor Solarium. Prior to the event, all graduates who have registered will receive a confirmation email with final instructions and event information.
Family and Friends: Can join you in the EIB 2nd Floor Solarium or watch live on the Celebration of Graduates event page.
Don't Forget to Apply to Graduate: Registering to attend the UAA College of Engineering celebration is separate from
applying to graduate and registering for the UAA Commencement Ceremony. A graduation
application must be submitted to have your degree awarded and to participate in the
UAA Commencement Ceremony. For application steps, visit the Registrar's Office/Degree Services.
Registration required for any graduating CoEng student wishing to participate in the event.
Deadline: December 8, 2023 **
When registering you can sign up to take the Oath of the Order of the Engineer and/or the Pledge of the Computing Professional (Free) (Optional)
The Oath: For graduating CE, CSE*, EE, and ME students who wish to take the oath.
The Pledge: For graduating CS and CSE* students who wish to take the pledge.
*Students earning a degree in Computer Systems Engineering (CSE) are eligible to take BOTH the oath and the pledge.
** If you would like your ring or pin to arrive before the graduation celebration register by November 20. Items will not be guaranteed to arrive before the celebration for registrations received after this date
The oath of the Order of the Engineer is intended to foster a spirit of pride and responsibility in the engineering profession, to bridge the gap between training and experience, and to present to the public a visible symbol identifying the engineer. The Obligation is the formal statement of an engineer's responsibilities to the public and to the profession. It is a creed similar to the oath attributed to Hippocrates that is generally taken by medical graduates and which sets forth an ethical code. Students taking the oath will receive a stainless-steel ring worn on the little finger of the working hand.
Graduates earning the following degrees are eligible to take the oath of the Order of the Engineer: Civil Engineering (CE), Computer Systems Engineering (CSE*), Electrical Engineering (EE), and Mechanical Engineering (ME)
The Pledge of the Computing Professional is intended to promote and recognize the ethical and moral behavior of graduates of computing-related degree programs as they transition to careers of service to society. Students taking the pledge will receive a certificate and lapel pin, a matrix with the word "Honor" encoded in ASCII, as a visible reminder of this Pledge throughout their professional careers.
Graduates earning a degree from a Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information
Systems, Information Technology, Software Engineering, or closely related program
with an Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Doctoral degree at an institution with
an active Node (Chapter) of The Pledge of the Computing Professional are eligible
to take the Pledge. UAA is an active Node.
*Students earning a degree in Computer Systems Engineering (CSE) are eligible to take BOTH the oath and the Pledge.
- What are the steps I need to take to celebrate my graduation?
Follow these steps for ALL of your graduation celebrations:
- Meet with your advisor to go over your graduation check-list to make sure you are ready to graduate.
- Apply to graduate. See the UAA Commencement page for more information.
- Register to participate on Friday December 15, 2023 in the College of Engineering
Celebration of Graduates event and to take the oath of the Order of the Engineer and/or
the Pledge of the Computing Professional (if applicable to your degree). Use the registration links above and register by the deadline.
- All students: Plan to attend UAA's commencement ceremony. See UAA Commencement page for more information.
- Graduate students: Plan to also attend UAA's graduate degree hooding ceremony. See UAA Commencement page for more information.
- Celebrate your accomplishments with family and friends!
- How do I participate in the event?
Prior to the event, all graduates who have registered will receive a confirmation email with final instructions and event information. Please be sure to arrive in-person by 3:45 p.m.
As participants in the celebration, graduates attending in-person will need to adhere to any current COVID-19 protocols at the time of the event including masking (if applicable).
- Am I required to take the oath and the pledge in order to participate in the event?Taking the oath and pledge during the event is optional.
- What is the dress code for the event?Business casual is the recommended dress and most common. Cap and gown is not required.
- How can my family watch?Family and friends can join you in the EIB 2nd Floor Solarium or watch live on the Celebration of Graduates event page.
- How will I receive my ring for the Order of the Engineer?Rings can be picked up at the event. If your ring is not available by the date of the event we will make arrangements for you to pick it up at a later date.
- How will I receive my pin for the Pledge of the Computing Professional?Pins can be picked up at the event. If your pin is not available by the date of the event we will make arrangements for you to pick it up at a later date.
- How do I apply for graduation?See the UAA Commencement page for more information.
- How do I order my cap and gown?See the UAA Commencement page for more information.
- If I am graduating in the summer can I attend the spring celebration event?Typically students choose to attend our the CoEng celebration event in the same semester that they walk at commencement. Some students are eligible to "walk early" if they only have a few credits remaining to complete their degrees. See the FAQ section on the Degree Services page to find out when you are eligible to walk at commencement. Note that graduate degree requirements are different from undergraduate degree requirements with regards to walking at commencement. Exceptions to the walking policy should be directed to the University Advancement Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What if I have a question that is not covered in the FAQ's?For event questions not covered here, please email email@example.com
or call (907) 786-5475.