Appointment as professor emeritus or emerita is an honor conferred by the Chancellor, on just a small portion of retiring professors who have demonstrated excellence, following consideration of recommendations by the faculty, upon an outstanding retiree of the university.
Board of Regents Policy and Regulation 04.04.070 – Emeritus Status.
Criteria for Candidacy
- A full-time faculty member who has attained the rank of full professor and who has retired after a minimum of 10 years at the University of Alaska Anchorage immediately prior to retirement may be honored through appointment as Professor Emeritus.
- Recommendations for conferring emeritus status may be made by the appropriate dean to the appropriate Promotion Committee to be evaluated on the basis of the criteria for promotion to the rank of full professor with the added caveat that the position of professor emeritus is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon a retiring faculty member. The Committee’s recommendations will be forwarded to the Chancellor whose decision is final and non-reviewable.
- In exceptional circumstances, the Chancellor may confer emeritus status on other meritorious employees who have provided a minimum of 10 years of faithful service of high quality to the institution.
- Dr. Alan Boraas (posthumous), spring 2020
- Dr. Anne Bridges, spring 2020
- David Fitzgerald, spring 2020
- Dr. Edward Forrest, spring 2020
- Dr. Larry Morris Foster, spring 2020
- Dr. Paul Landen, spring 2020
- Jerilyn Rubin, spring 2020
- Dr. Donald Spalinger, spring 2020
- Dr. Maureen O'Malley (posthumous), fall 2020
- Sandra Pence, fall 2020