Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
Explore the Doctor of Pharmacy degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Addressing Alaska’s need for trained health care professionals, the University of
Alaska Anchorage and the Idaho State University (ISU) College of Pharmacy have partnered
to offer a traditional four-year professional doctoral degree that prepares pharmacists
with first-hand knowledge of the unique challenges in Alaska communities.
Pharmacy scholarships and financial aid
Each year, the ISU College of Pharmacy awards more than $500,000 in scholarships to Pharm.D. students. You may also qualify for financial aid through the ISU Office of Financial Aid.
Idaho State University College of Pharmacy
The UAA/ISU dual-campus program combines a progressive curriculum with a history of excellence in pharmacy education. ISU shares its experience in rural health and multi-site delivery to prepare you for a career that helps meet ever-growing and changing needs — not only in the field but also in Alaska.
Connect with your cohort across three delivery sites — Pocatello and Meridian, Idaho, and Anchorage, Alaska. With state-of-the-art technology, this joint program delivers classes that allow you to participate and interact with graduate students at ISU and learn from the same instructors.
Graduate student activities
Greek life and student organizations coordinated through ISU and available on the UAA campus offer a variety of opportunities for you to get involved. Join the Phi Lambda Sigma pharmacy leadership society or Phi Delta Chi and Kappa Psi fraternities, as well as professional organizations such as the American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists and the Alaska Pharmacists Association.
Did you know..
The pharmacy doctoral degree program at UAA/ISU qualifies you to sit for the two standardized tests to become licensed to practice in Alaska: the national North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination.
What can you do with a pharmacy degree?
As a pharmacist, you are the drug expert on a health care team. Working in hospitals,
pharmacies and other health care facilities, you will prepare and dispense medications,
advise health professionals on drug decisions, prevent harmful drug interactions,
and counsel patients on the safe and effective use of their medications.
- Community practice
- Clinical practice
- Compounding pharmacy
- Research and drug development
- Industry or pharmaceutical business consulting
- Independent pharmacy ownership
- Quality improvement
By the numbers..
Doctor of Pharmacy degree program highlights
With a dynamic combination of classroom instruction and practical experiences, the UAA/ISU Doctor of Pharmacy program will train you for a diverse, rewarding and lucrative career as a pharmacist.
- Work directly with on-site faculty and staff for all program components. Led by a dedicated assistant dean, program faculty include experts in biomedical sciences and pharmacy practice, as well as practicing clinical pharmacists. Their specialties include infectious disease, psychiatry, oncology, pediatrics, geriatrics, cardiology, critical care and nutritional support.
- Get hands-on experience in recently renovated facilities dedicated to the Doctor of Pharmacy program. As a pharmacy graduate student, you’ll have exclusive access to classrooms, a compounding lab, a student lounge and other facilities equipped with state-of-the-art audio-visual technology.
- Participate in leadership activities and community outreach. With a focus on impacting the health care needs of Alaska, the UAA/ISU Doctor of Pharmacy program is highly active in the community, leading engagement efforts related to diabetes, cardiovascular health, poison prevention and immunizations.
Amazing stories from pharmacy students
As an Alaska Native and lifelong Alaskan, I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful Pharm.D. program that allows me to stay at my home in Anchorage and receive all of the student experiences and resources that I would in another state. I look forward to learning and practicing new ways I can help Alaskans, both after graduation and during my education.
Pharmacy doctoral degree program curriculum
Gain experience in patient care services, clinical skills, problem solving, critical
thinking, interprofessional collaboration, outcome-oriented decision making and professionalism.
The first three years of the program consist of live classes on the UAA campus. The fourth year of the program consists of Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences, which are seven, six-week blocks of clinical clerkships in community and institutional settings.
Top classes for pharmacy graduate students
- Progressively learn how to deliver patient care by working in community and institutional settings in Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience.
- Apply everything you’ve learned in Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience.
- Increase your effectiveness working with other health care students and professionals in Interprofessional Pharmacy Education.