Graduate Certificate in Language EducationCatalog links to current catalog year; see historic catalogs to view previous years.
The Graduate Certificate in Language Education is designed for individuals seeking advanced professional preparation to increase knowledge and skills in working with language learners in the P-6 setting. Those who teach languages in public or private settings, both in the United States and abroad, may enhance their knowledge and practice by completing this standards-based program.
English as a Second Language (ESL) and Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy Concentration
The ESL concentration is for candidates who are seeking one of the following:
- Institutional Recommendation for an English as a Second Language (ESL) endorsement on a current teacher certificate or
- Advanced preparation in ESL for increasing professional performance in community programs
- Satisfy the Admission Requirements for Graduate Certificates.
- Document professional background (must hold or be eligible to hold a teacher certificate from the State of Alaska.)
- Provide a minimum of three letters of recommendation addressing the candidate's potential for program success.
- Submit a current resume.
- Submit a writing sample including an educational goal statement directly related to the certification program.
Following are the requirements for an institutional recommendation for an ESL endorsement:
- Professional Teacher Certificate or equivalent.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution or foreign equivalent.
- Completion of all program requirements as indicated above.
Alaska Certification Note
The State of Alaska Department of Education and Early Development (EED) in Juneau awards endorsements. Graduates must meet all requirements specified by EED at the time of application for the endorsement.
Language Education Faculty
|Title||Program/Department||UA Email Address||Phone||Office|
|Cathy Coulter, Ph.D.||Associate Professor||Elementary Educationemail@example.com||907-786-4457||PSB 224E|
|Irasema Ortega, Ph.D.||Associate Professor||Elementary & Language Educationfirstname.lastname@example.org||907-786-4454||PSB 224F|