Master of Public Health (M.P.H.)
Explore the Master of Public Health degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
With a focus on the health care and program needs of Alaska and the Circumpolar North,
UAA’s accredited M.P.H. in public health practice offers a broad, interdisciplinary
education with an ecological approach to protecting and promoting the health of populations.
You’ll study with public health faculty who are recognized experts in their fields,
including health equity, maternal and child health, circumpolar and global health,
and tobacco prevention and control.
Public health scholarships and financial aid
Pursue your graduate degree full time or part time while working and balancing other responsibilities. All of the courses are offered online, so you can gain real-world experiences while staying in your community. You only need to come to campus to attend the annual M.P.H. Student Symposium and to defend your final project or thesis.
Online degree program
Pursue your graduate degree full time or part time while working and balancing other responsibilities. Course requirements are offered as online classes, so you can gain real-world experiences while staying in your community. You only need to come to campus to defend your thesis.
Master of Public Health/Master of Social Work Dual Degree
The M.S.W./M.P.H. dual degree program develops expertise at the intersection of public health and social work. The goal of the program is to train leaders who have the skills and competencies to address many of the social and public health problems facing the state of Alaska, the nation and the world. The dual degree program is structured in a way that allows students to meet all the requirements for both programs. Through mutual agreement between the M.S.W. and M.P.H. programs, some courses will count toward graduation requirements in both programs, thus reducing the time it takes to complete the two degrees.
Did you know..
UAA’s Master of Public Health program was one of the first entirely distance-delivered CEPH-accredited M.P.H. programs in the nation.
What can you do with a public health degree from UAA?
With a Master of Public Health, you can work in a variety of fields, such as occupational
safety and health, environmental health, food safety, health education and health
planning and analysis.
Public health graduate programs
- Doctor of Public Health (Dr.PH.) or Ph.D. in public health
Public health careers
M.P.H. alumni have earned leadership positions in a variety of public and private organizations, including the following:
- Alaska Infant Learning Program
- Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
- Governor’s Council on Disabilities and Special Education
- Alaska Department of Education
- Alaska Department of Education
- CDC Arctic Investigations Program
- American Lung Association
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Southcentral Foundation
By the numbers..
Master of Public Health degree program highlights
As a student in the M.P.H. program, you’ll learn advanced tools to identify and assess the needs of communities and populations, then plan, implement and evaluate techniques to address those needs.
- Develop and complete a practicum and a project or thesis. Your practicum is an opportunity to specialize in an area you’re interested in. You can incorporate service learning to help improve the health of your community.
- Get matched with a faculty advisor who will help guide you through the online degree program. Program faculty specialize in a variety of fields, including health equity, community health, environmental health, social determinants of health, maternal and child health, circumpolar and global health, and tobacco prevention and control.
- Work with faculty on community-engaged projects and graduate research. Experience public health practice in action while making a direct impact on the field.
Amazing stories from M.P.H. alumni
I use the [M.P.H.] education I received in my job every day, and it has provided me with opportunities I never anticipated.
Public health master’s degree program curriculum
Explore the interactions and relationships that affect public health with an interdisciplinary
master’s degree from UAA.
Complete core courses in health education and behavioral sciences, environmental and occupational health, health management and policy, biostatistics and epidemiology. You’ll also delve deeper into research methods, program evaluation, circumpolar health issues and management of public health emergencies and disasters.
Top classes for M.P.H. students
- Environmental and occupational health
- Circumpolar health issues
- Public health emergencies and disasters