Diversity Action Council Student Diversity Awards
The UAA Student Diversity Award honors students who have demonstrated a deep and ongoing commitment to social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion on any UAA campus. This award seeks to honor students who exemplify creating a culture of equity and inclusion; UAA values of critical thinking and awareness; and diversity, respect, and social responsibility in their UAA or broader community.
This scholarship application accepts self-nominations OR nominations by faculty, staff, or other students.
- A currently enrolled and degree or certificate seeking student at any UAA campus, including community campuses
- Cumulative 2.5 GPA, meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress
- A completed application (by the student or as a nomination on their behalf)
- A letter of reference if students are self-nominating
New: Extended submission deadline: All submissions must be received by 11:59 PM Nov 15th, 2022 in order to be considered.
The UAA Diversity Action Council will review nominations and grant tuition to the top applicants. If you have any questions, please contact Sara Caldwell-Kan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the application via Qualtrics, available at the button link below. You will not be able to save your work in the middle of the application and return to it later so be sure to have the following information ready before starting the application:
- Student’s contact information (yours if you are self-nominating)
- Nominator’s contact information (if applicable)
- Answers to these essay questions (limit of 200 words for each answer):
- Describe the student's* specific involvement with and experience in creating a more inclusive UAA. What have they done in the past year to improve the university climate for students with marginalized identities?
- How has the student demonstrated what it means to be a student leader in equity initiatives? Please include specific examples.
- How does the student apply critical thinking and promote critical awareness and understanding
to advance social justice within UAA and the larger community? Please include specific
* If you are self-nominating, “the student” can be replaced with “you”
** It is recommended that you first write your answers in another program like Word, where you can save your work and then copy and paste your answers into the application.
4. The name and title of the University or community professional providing you a letter of reference (only required for self-nominating students)
5. You will need to upload your letter of reference to the application (only required for self-nominating students)
The deadline to apply is January 9, 2022 11:59pm Alaska Standard Time.
If you have any questions, please email Sara Caldwell-Kan at email@example.com.
Individuals needing accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Disability Support Services at 786-4530 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week in advance of the application deadline.