Middle College Textbooks
AMCS Spring 2023 Textbook Support
For support with AMCS textbooks, help with codes/ebooks, or to schedule a time to meet with the textbook coordinator, email email@example.com.
How to Read Your AMCS Textbook List
Book: Everything listed as a book on your list is a physical textbook that you must pick up.
Codes and ebooks: Codes for online learning platforms and ebooks will be provided to you by email together with your textbook list prior to the first day of classes. If you are having trouble accessing your online materials, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inclusive access materials/Day One Digital: Inclusive access materials are textbooks and learning platforms provided to you by your professor when you enroll in their class. Follow the link for more detailed information.
No required textbooks/Free online materials: Either there are no required textbooks for your course, or your professor will provide you with your course materials for free as open access materials.
General Textbook Information
AMCS students should direct all textbook questions to email@example.com. All communications about your textbooks will also come from this email.
Textbooks and other course materials for program approved courses are all purchased on behalf of AMCS students. Once students meet with their Middle College advisor and finalize their classes, the Student Success Program Assistant orders their textbooks on their behalf.
Students are responsible for keeping textbooks in the same condition as when received, and for returning physical textbooks on a specified date determined by Middle College at the end of the semester.
Common Textbook Questions
- Are my textbooks free if I am an AMCS student?
Yes! All textbook costs are covered by the program. This includes physical textbooks, etextbooks, lab kits and manuals, and learning platforms.
Note that lab PPE like lab coats and goggles are not covered.
- Who should I contact about textbook questions?Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-786-1549 with any questions you may have about your textbooks.
- I never received an email with my textbook list. What should I do?To request a copy of your textbook list for this semester, email email@example.com. Keep in mind that if you registered for classes two weeks before classes start or later, your textbooks may be delayed. Recent changes in your schedule may not be reflected in your textbook list. You can request an updated textbook list at any time.
- Can I write in my textbooks?We reuse physical textbooks for other students, so please be considerate of the next student. Minimal notes and highlighting are acceptable. In general, aim to return your textbook in the same condition in which you received it. You may be asked to replace a book if it is heavily notated or badly damaged.
- I have a digital copy of my textbook, but I prefer physical books. Can I get a physical
copy of my textbook as well?
Middle College has a limited number of certain physical textbooks available on request, which we can give to students on a first-come-first-served basis.
Some Spring 2023 textbooks available on request:
A Novel Approach to Politics 6th ed.
Intermediate Algebra 13th ed.
Vistas, Vol. 1 & 2 6th ed.
College Algebra 12th ed.
certain Openstax (OER) textbooks
To request a copy of one of these textbooks, or to inquire about a textbook not listed above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-786-1549.
- Where do I go to pick up textbooks?
All physical textbooks are available for pickup in Gordon Hartlieb Hall (GHH) Room 101. GHH 101 is not regularly staffed, so please make an appointment or come pick up your textbooks during designated textbook pickup times.
- One of the textbooks on my list is "backordered." What does this mean and when will
I receive my textbook?This means that we have ordered your textbook but it has not yet been shipped. You will be notified when your book is on its way, and when it arrives you will receive an email letting you know that it is ready for pickup.
- I registered for my classes late, or I recently added a new class that requires textbooks
or codes. How can I still get my free textbooks?Your course materials are free for you no matter how late you register for classes. Please email email@example.com to ask about any textbooks or codes you have not yet received.
- How do I know if I have physical books to pick up?Physical books will be highlighted on your textbook list when you receive it through email.
- I already bought my textbooks, but I want to use free AMCS textbooks. What should
Your best option is to return the textbooks you purchased before using them or unwrapping any plastic packaging. Refunds are processed through the Returns tab on the UAA Online Bookstore website, or via the returns process of the vendor you used to make your purchase (i.e. Amazon, etc.). If you are experiencing difficulty with returning your textbooks through the UAA Online Bookstore, visit the Help tab on the UAA Online Bookstore website and select "I need help with my order."
Disclaimer: Please note that any textbooks or codes you purchase yourself are your responsibility. Middle College staff can assist you with the return process or work with you to find an alternative solution, but we cannot make returns for you or manage any aspect of your personal orders. The UAA Bookstore is operated by a third party service, and Middle College does not have control over the quality of service you receive from bookstore customer experience. Alaska Middle College School does not guarantee reimbursement for textbook materials you purchase yourself and are unable to return, even if you made that purchase accidentally.
- I missed textbook pickup. How do I schedule a pick up time?Scroll up and click on the button labelled Schedule a Late Textbook Pickup. This will take you to the Middle College Bookings page, where you can view available times and dates for individual appointments.
- What textbooks do I need to return? Which textbooks can I keep?
All physical books must be returned at the end of the semester. This includes bound books, loose-leaf/binder textbooks, lab manuals, and any unused codes.
You do not have to return any workbooks you have written in or used codes. Workbooks are books that consist only of activities with space for you to write in them. Textbooks that have space for you to write in them but function as the main textbook for the class are not workbooks!
- When do I return my textbooks?Instructions on how and when to return your textbooks will be emailed to your @alaska.edu email during the last month of the semester. Watch for announcements about textbook returns from your advisors, or visit the UAA Middle College homepage for news on textbook return dates.
- I'm going to be gone the week of textbook returns. What should I do?Email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know if you can't make the dates. If you can return your textbooks early, then please do so. Otherwise, you should plan to arrange a time to return your textbooks after you get back from your trip.
- Is there a penalty or fee for late textbooks?
There is no fine for late textbooks. However there are some consequences for unreturned textbooks:
If you do not return your textbooks for a semester and you are continuing with the program the following semester, your free textbooks will be on hold until you return all outstanding textbooks.
If you still have outstanding AMCS textbooks unreturned at the end of the school year, AMCS will charge the cost to replace the books to your account. This fee will be removed as soon as you return your textbooks, but the fee will remain on your account until then or until you pay it.