Anthony ParisAssociate Professor
EducationPh.D. Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Washington University in St. Louis
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Washington University in St. Louis
Professional & Department Service
American Academy of Mechanics
American Society for Testing and Materials
American Society of Engineering Education
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Phi Kappa Phi
Pi Tau Sigma - Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
Sigma Xi - Research Honor Society
- Chaffin, B.M., and Paris, A.J. "The impact characteristics of soccer balls." ASME 2005 Summer Biomechanics Conference, Vail, Colorado, June 22-26, 2005.
- Paris, A. J., Sabick, M., Guarino, J., and King, H. "The biomechanical behavior of spinal-pelvic fixation assemblies with stainless steel and titanium rods in a vertebrectomy model." ASME 2005 Summer Biomechanics Conference, Vail, Colorado, June 22-26, 2005.
- Paris, A.J., Chaffin, B.M., and Guerricabeitia, J.M. "Heading and soccer ball impact with a flat surface." British Journal of Sports Medicine, 39, 2005.
- Gunderson, J. D., Brueck, J. F., and Paris, A. J. "An alternative test method for interlaminar fracture toughness of composites." International Journal of Fracture, 143,2007, 273-276.
- Chaffin, B. M., Holden, A. P., Paris, A. J., "Fusing parameters effect on gloss." Proceeding of the IS&T's 23rd International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies (NIP23), September 16-21, 2007, Anchorage, Alaska.
- Antonini, K., Chaffin, B.M., and Paris, A.J. "Soccer ball heading model." ASME 2008 Summer Bioengineering Conference (SBC08), Marco Island, Florida, June 25-29, 2008.
- Paris, A. J. "Elasticity approach to load transfer in cord-composite materials." ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 76, 2009, 06002-1-6.
- Paris, A. J., "Bending of two-ply cord composite cylindrical shells." Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, 37, 2009, 283-298.
- Paris, A.J., Antonini, K. R, and McFerran-Brock, J., "Accelerations of the head during soccer ball heading." ASME 2010 Summer Bioengineering Conference (SBC2010),Naples, Florida, June 16-19, 2010.
- Paris, A.J.,Bergeron, A. J., Cullin, M., and Munk, A., "Fatigue behavior of stainless steel, titanium, and cobalt chromium molybdenum spinal rods." ASME 2010 Summer Bioengineering Conference (SBC2010), Naples, Florida, June 16-19, 2010.
- Paris, A. J., and Gunderson, J. D., "DCB test for the interlaminar fracture toughness of composites." Proceedings of the Eighteenth International Conference on Composites Engineering (ICCE-18), Anchorage, Alaska, July 4-10, 2010.
- Chaffin, B.M., Holden, A.P., and Paris, A.J., "Effect of fusing parameters on print gloss." J. Imaging Sci. Technol., Nov.-Dec. 2010.
- Kara, T.M., DelSignore, J.A., Brock, J.M., Lund, J., and Paris, A.J., "Evaluation of an instrumented mouth guard to measure the accelerations of the head due to soccer ball heading," 12thPan-American Congress of Applied Mechanics (PACAM XII), 2012 January 2-6, Port of Spain, Trinidad.
- Still, B.A., Yang, Z., Ge, X., Paris, A., "Naturally frozen soils from the field to the laboratory," ASCE 10th International Symposium on Cold Regions Development (ISCORD 2013), Planning for Sustainable Cold Regions, Anchorage, Alaska, June 2-5, 2013, pp. 228-236.
- Paris, A., "Demonstration of the uaa patent pending spinal rod bender," demonstration video and illustrated transcript, June 19, 2013.
- Birmingham, G., Smith, L., Brock, J.M., Lund, J., and Paris, A.J., "An instrumented mouthguard to measure head accelerations due to impact," ASME 2013 Summer Bioengineering Conference (SBC2013), Sunriver, Oregon, June 26-29,2013.
- Paris, A.J., Wu, G., Glasheen, B.P., and Thompson, J., "Bending Instrument and Methods of Using Same." United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Patent Pending, Non-provisional Patent Filed April 1,2011, Application Number 13078546.
- Paris, A.J., and Munk, J., "Device, Systems, and Methods for Determining Linear and Angular Accelerations of the Head," United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Patent Pending, Provisional Patent Filed December31, 2012, Application Number 61747411.
- Paris, A.J., Brock, J.M., and Lund, J., "Mouth Guard For Determining Physiological Conditions Of A Subject And Systems And Methods For Using Same," United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Patent Pending, Provisional Patent Filed December 31, 2012, Application Number 61827996.
Selected Media and Speaking Appearances
- McCoy, K., "Rod bender: Building a better tool for spinal surgeries," Hometown U,
Anchorage Daily News, Sunday, November 4, 2012, http://www.adn.com/2012/11/03/2681804/kathleen-mccoy-rod-bender-building.html (A version of this story appeared in the Green & Gold, November 7, 2012,http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/10358/rod_bender_building_a_better_
- McCoy, K., "Mouth guard may provide insight into concussions, "Hometown U, Anchorage
Daily News, Sunday, February 10, 2013,http://www.adn.com/2013/02/09/2783587/hometown-u-uaa-mouth-guard-may.html(A version of this story appeared in the Green & Gold, February 15, 2013,http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/blog/10836/uaa_mouth_guard_may_provide
- McCoy, K., "How bad is that concussion?" and "Back surgery in your future? Make sure your surgeon has one of these." Innovation for the Real World, UAA Accolades, Volume 12, Number 1, Spring/Summer 2013, UAA University Advancement, pp. 13-14,http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/accolades/archive/UAA-Accolades-Spring-2013.pdf.
- McCoy, K., "Mouthguard developed at UAA may provide insight into concussions: Engineers Anthony Paris, Jennifer Brock, and John Lund refining design," UAA Spirit Sentinel, University of Alaska Anchorage, Amazing Stories Being Written Every Day, Spring 2013.
- UAA "Amazing Stories" Brand Campaign: Concussion(featuring research by Dr. Anthony Paris), UAA Advancement, February 15, 2013,http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/amazingstories/2013/08/01/demo/.
- Paris, A., "Rod bender: Building a better tool for spinal surgeries," Keynote Presentation, 2013 Engineers Week Awards Banquet, Egan Center, Anchorage, Alaska, February 23, 2013.
Career History/Work Experience2011-present University of Alaska Anchorage, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
2007-2011 University of Alaska Anchorage, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
2001-2007 Boise State University, Boise, Idaho, Research Assistant Professor