You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Ph.D. Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 1996
B.S.Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 1985
BiographyNicolae Lobontiu has been with the University of Alaska Anchorage since 2006 and is currently a Professor of Mechanical Engineering in the College of Engineering. He was also associated in research/teaching with the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Dynamic Structures and Materials LLC, Vanderbilt University, and Cornell University. He received his B.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Dr. Lobontiu's research interests are related to flexure hinges, compliant mechanisms, vibrations, system dynamics, and micro/nano electromechanical systems
Teaching ResponsibilitiesCurrent: ES A210 Engineering Dynamics, ME/EE A306 Dynamics of Systems, ES A331 Mechanics of Materials, ME A408/A608 Mechanical Vibrations, ME A494H Engineering Finite Element Analysis
Professional & Department Service
- Associate Editor, Mechanism and Machine Theory Journal
- Reviewer of professional journal papers and book manuscripts
- Member in College/UAA committees for tenure & promotion and curriculum assessment
- Compliant Mechanisms and Flexure Hinges
- System Dynamics
- Micro and Nano Electromechanical Systems
- Dynamics and Vibrations
- System Analogies
1. Lobontiu, N., System Dynamics for Engineering Students: Concepts and Applications, Elsevier, 2010.
2. Lobontiu, N., Dynamics of Microelectromechanical Systems, Springer, 2007.
3. Lobontiu, N., Mechanical Microresonators: Modeling, Design, and Applications, McGraw-Hill, 2005.
4. Lobontiu, N. and Garcia, E., Mechanics of Microelectromechanical Systems, Kluwer Academic Press, 2004.
5. Lobontiu, N., Compliant Mechanisms: Design of Flexure Hinges, CRC Press, 2002.
Selected Journal Papers
1. Lobontiu, N., ‘Modeling and Design of Planar Parallel-Connection Flexible Hinges for In- and Out-of-Plane Mechanism Applications’, Journal of Precision Engineering, Vol. 42, pp. 113-132, 2015.
2. Noveanu, S., Lobontiu, N., Lazaro, J., Mandru, D., ‘Substructure Compliance Matrix Model of Planar Branched Flexure-Hinge Mechanisms: Design, Testing and Characterization of a Gripper’, Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 91, pp. 1-20, 2015.
3. Lobontiu, N., ‘Planar Flexible Hinges with Curvilinear-Axis Segments for Mechanisms of In-Plane and Out-of-Plane Operation’, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 137(1), pp. 012302-1 – 012302-15, 2015.
4. Lobontiu, N., ‘Compliance-Based Modeling and Design of Straight-Axis/Circular-Axis Flexible Hinges with Small Out-of-Plane Deformations’, Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 80, pp. 166-183, 2014.
5. Lobontiu, N. ‘Out-of-Plane (Diaphragm) Compliances of Circular-Axis Notch Flexible Hinges with Midpoint Radial Symmetry’, Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, Volume 42, pp. 517-537, 2014.
6. Lobontiu, N. ‘Compliance-Based Matrix Method for Modeling the Quasi-Static Response of Planar Serial Flexure-Hinge Mechanisms’, Precision Engineering: Journal of the International Societies for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, Volume 38(3), pp. 639-650, 2014.
7. Lobontiu, N., Cullin, M., Petersen, T., Alcazar, J., and Noveanu, S., 'Planar Compliances of Symmetric Notch Flexure Hinges: the Right Circularly Corner-Filleted Parabolic Design', IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Volume 11(1), pp. 169-176, 2014.
8. Lobontiu, N. and Cullin, M., ‘In-Plane Elastic Response of Two-Segment Circular-Axis Symmetric Notch Flexure Hinges: the Right Circular Design’, Precision Engineering: Journal of the International Societies for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, Volume 37, pp. 542-555, 2013.
9. Lobontiu, N., Cullin, M., Ali, M., and Hoffman, J., 'Planar Compliances of Thin Circular-Axis Notch Flexure Hinges with Midpoint Radial Symmetry', Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, Volume 41(2), pp. 1-20, 2013.
10.Lobontiu, N., 'Symmetry-Based Compliance Model of Multisegment Notch Flexure Hinges',Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, Volume 40(2), pp. 185-205, 2012.
11.Lobontiu, N., 'Bending Compliances of Generalized Symmetric Notch Flexure Hinges', Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 83(1), pp. 016107-1 −016107-3, 2012.
12.Lobontiu, N., Cullin, M., Ali, M., and McFerran-Brock, J., ‘A Generalized Analytical Compliance Model for Transversely Symmetric Three-Segment Flexure Hinges’, Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 82 (10), pp. 105116-105124, 2011.
Career History/Work Experience
2006 – present, University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage, AK, College of Engineering, Associate Professor (2006 − 2010), Professor (2010 − )
2002 – 2004, Cornell University, Ithaca (NY), Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Research Scientist
2004 – 2006, Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Department of Strength of Materials, Associate Professor
1999 – 2002, Dynamic Structures and Materials Corporation, Franklin (TN), Research Engineer
1997 – 1999, Vanderbilt University, Nashville (TN), Department of Mechanical Engineering, Postdoctoral Associate
1990 – 1997, Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, Department of Strength of Materials, Assistant Professor (1990-1994), Associate Professor (1994-1997)
1987 – 1990, Center for Laboratory Equipment Research and Development, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, R&D Mechanical Engineer
1985 – 1987, Center for Research and Engineering Technology, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, R&D Mechanical Engineer