Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 2009
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 2008
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 2006
- ME A414: Thermal Systems Design (HVAC)
- ENGR A251: Engineering Practices III
- ME A664: Corrosion Processes and Engineering
- ME A453/A653: Renewable Energy Systems Engineering
- ES A208: Engineering Mechanics
- ENGR A161: Engineering Practices II
- ENGR A151: Introduction to Engineering
Professional & Department Service
- 2012-2013, Faculty advisor to SAE Baja team
- 2011-2013, Faculty advisor to National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) student chapter
- 2011-2013, Member, National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) scholarship committee
- 2010-2013, FIRST Robotics Volunteer: Mentor, Head Referee, Judge Advisor, Event Coordinator
- 2009-2010, Faculty advisor to American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning (ASHRAE) student Chapter
Corrosion, failure analysis, fatigue, materials testing, compliant mechanisms, engineering education
- 2014, PI, "Evaluation of corrosion of copper piping at Eklutna water treatment facility."
- 2013, PI, "Implementation of a Joint Failure Analysis and Corrosion Testing (FACT) Program at the University of Alaska Anchorage."
- 2013, PI, "Lake Otis Drive water main failure analysis," Anchorage Wastewater and Water Utility
- 2013, PI, "Corrosion under insulation (CUI) microanalysis," BP Alaska
- 2013, PI, "Bethel water treatment facility monoethylene glycol heating line corrosion failure"
- 2013, PI, "Case iron sanitary line corrosion failure," UAA Facilities, Planning, and Construction
- 2012, PI, "Investigation of corrosion rates and mechanisms of steel in monoethylene glycol solutions," BP Alaska
- 2011-2013, Co-investigator, "Experimental measurement of flexure compliance values," independent
- 2010-2013, Task PI, "Cold climate turbine operation," U.S. Department of Energy
PublicationsM Cullin, T Petersen, N Lobontiu, T Kirk. "Experimental determination of planar compliance values of flexures." Measurement, Accepted. (2014)
M Cullin, T Petersen, A Paris. "Corrosion fatigue failure of a gray cast iron water main." J. of Pipe. Syst. –Eng. and Pract., Accepted, publishing pending. (2014)
N Lobontiu, M Cullin, T Petersen, J Alcazar, S Noveanu. "Planar compliances of symmetric notch flexure hinges: the right circularly corner-filleted parabolic design." IEEE Trans. Automation Sci. Eng. Accepted, publishing pending. (2013) doi: 10.1109/TASE.2012.2228853
N Lobontiu, M Cullin, M Ali, J Hoffman. "Planar compliances of thin circular-axis flexure hinges with midpoint radial symmetry." Mech. Based Des. Struct. Mach. 41.2 (2013): 202-221.
N Lobontiu, M Cullin, J Hoffman, M. Ali, "Circular-Axis Flexure Hinges", International IMT Oradea Conference Paper (2013).
N Lobontiu, M Cullin. "In-plane elastic response of two-segment circular-axis symmetric notch flexure hinges: The right circular design." Precision Engineering 37.3 (2013): 542-555.
N Lobontiu, M Cullin, E Garcia, J McFerran, M Ali. "Compliances of symmetric flexure hinges for planar compliant mechanisms." 2012 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2012)
M J Cullin, D G Harlow, R P Wei. "Modeling and simulation of constituent particle clustering and distribution in rolled aluminum alloys." Mod. and Sim. in Materials Sci. and Eng. 19.3 (2011)
N Lobontiu, M Cullin, M Ali, J Brock. "A generalized analytical compliance model for transversely symmetric three-segment flexure hinges." Review of Sci. Inst. 82.10 (2011)
A Paris, A Bergeron., M Cullin, A Munk, "Fatigue behavior of stainless steel, titanium, and cobalt chromium molybdenum spinal rods", ASME Conference Paper (2010).
Career History/Work Experience
2014-Present, Associate Professor, University of Alaska Anchorage, Department of Mechanical Engineering
2009-2014, Assistant Professor, University of Alaska Anchorage, Department of Mechanical Engineering
2012-Present, Director, BP Asset Integrity and Corrosion Lab, University of Alaska Anchorage