Time to Legalize? A Public Discussion on Marijuana Law and Policy
by Barbara Armstrong |
"Time to Legalize? A Public Discussion on Marijuana Law and Policy" took place a week after a ballot measure to legalize, regulate, and tax marijuana for recreational use in Alaska was officially certified for inclusion in the Aug. 19, 2014, primary election as Ballot Measure 2. (Read the initiative here.) Ballot Measure 2 was eventually moved to the Nov. 4, 2014, general election, and was approved by a vote of 53% to 47%. More than 200 students, faculty, and members of the public attended.
The event was moderated by Jason Brandeis, J.D., Legal Studies faculty in the Justice Center; and Troy Payne, Justice faculty, collected questions from the audience and Twitter via the Justice Center's Twitter account. The program was held March 5, 2014 at Wendy Williamson Auditorium on the UAA campus. Photos and additional information about the event can be found on the the Justice Center blog. The event was sponsored by the Justice Center at University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), as part of National Criminal Justice Month 2014, and was co-sponsored by UAA Justice Club.
Read the panelist biographies.
- Ethan Nadelmann, Executive Director, Drug Policy Alliance, New York City
- Sheriff Lance Buchholtz (Ret.), Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
- Ben Cort, Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM)
- Dean Guaneli, former Chief Assistant Attorney General for Alaska
- Taylor Bickford, Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol in Alaska
- Prof. Jason Brandeis,J.D., UAA Justice Center, moderator
- Dr. Troy Payne, UAA Justice Center, Twitter moderator
- "UAA to Host Discussion on Pot Policy March 5" by Tegan Hanlon. Anchorage Daily News, 27 Feb 2014.
- "Q&A: Pot Legalization Booster Ethan Nadelmann Makes His Case" by Michelle Theriault Boots. Anchorage Daily News, 4 Mar 2014.
- "Panel to Discuss Possibility of Marijuana Legalization" (Includes audio 3:42) by Lori Townsend. Alaska News Nightly, Alaska Public Radio Network, 4 Mar 2014.
- "Q&A: Anti-Pot Legalization Advocate Makes His Case" by Michelle Theriault Boots. Anchorage Daily News, 5 Mar 2014.
- "UAA Panel Discussing Pros, Cons of Pot Legalization" by Lori Townsend. (includes audio: 4:15). Alaska News Nightly, Alaska Public Radio Network, 5 Mar 2014.
- "UAA Hosts Marijuana Discussion" (video 1:01) by Shannon Ballard. KTVA Channel 11 News, 5 Mar 2014.
- "To Legalize, or Not: Ballot Measure to Legalize Recreational Marijuana Debated at UAA" by Laurel Andrews. Alaska Dispatch, 6 Mar 2014.
- "Experts Argue All Sides of Alaska Marijuana Legalization" (includes video 2:23) by Abby Hancock. KTUU Channel 2 News, 6 Mar 2014.
- "Time to Legalize? A Panel on Marijuana Law and Policy" (audio 1 hour) by Evan Erickson. Addressing Alaskans, Alaska Public Radio Network, 7 Mar 2014. Audio of the full 2-hour event is also available here.
- "Is Alaska's Weed Question Different?" by Scott Christiansen. Anchorage Press, 13 Mar 2014.
- "Debate over Marijuana Reform Hazy" by Evan Erickson. The Northern Light, 18 Mar 2014.
- "My Turn: Marijuana and the Developing Human Brain" (opinion) by Dean Guaneli. Juneau Empire, 4 Apr 2014.