No More Silence in the Dark: A Panel Discussion on Reducing Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault in Alaska
by Barbara Armstrong |
"No More Silence in the Dark" was an event cosponsored by the Justice Center at University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) and the Omega Xi chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma, the national criminal justice honor society. The event was presented as part of National Criminal Justice Month 2014 and "UAA Says No More" week.
The event was moderated by Ryan Fortson, Legal Studies faculty in the Justice Center. The program was held March 19, 2014, in the UAA/APU Consortium Library on the UAA campus, with an attendance of more than 150 students, faculty, and members of the public.
Senior Justice majors/Legal Studies minors Simona Gerdts and Kristen Speyerer planned and coordinated this event as part of their capstone project through the UAA Center for Community Engagement & Learning (CCEL). The event, part of the the NO MORE national campaign, which aims to increase awareness and action to end domestic violence and sexual assault, was a key event of UAA Says No More Week, which is intended to become an annual event. UAA's campaign continues at the UAA NO MORE Alliance, a student club, and Simona and Kristen have continued to be involved through the statewide organization NO MORE AK. Photos and additional information about the NO MORE campaign can be found on the the Justice Center blog.
- Ryan Fortson, UAA Justice Center, moderator
- Marny Rivera, UAA Justice Center
- Randi Breager, Program Coordinator with the Alaska State Troopers
- Rhonda Street, Anchorage Police Department officer
- Dave DeLesline, Anchorage Police Department officer
- Shannon Eddy, Legal Project Staff Attorney, Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (ANDVSA)
- Dr. Angelia Trujillo, Forensic Nurse Examiner, UAA School of Nursing
The "UAA Says NO MORE to domestic violence and sexual assault" video PSA was created as part of the "UAA Says No More" campaign launched during the Fall 2013 semester at University of Alaska Anchorage and features UAA students, faculty, and staff. Video production and editing donated by Eric Baldwin, Media Technician, UAA Academic Innovations & ELearning.
- "Domestic Violence: NO MORE" by Nita Mauigoa. The Northern Light, 18 Mar 2014.
- "UAA Students Illuminating Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault Issues" (audio 4:54) by Lori Townsend. Alaska Public Radio Network, 17 Mar 2014.
- "170 Communities in Alaska Are Rallying to End Rape — and You Should Join Them" by John D. Sutter. CNN.com, 26 Mar 2014.
- "Say 'No More'': UAA Tackles Domestic Violence" by Rebecca Barker and Heather Aronno. Alaska Commons, 26 Mar 2014.
- "Standing Room Only for March 19 Panel Discussion on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault — NO MORE Campaign" by UAA Justice Center. UAA Justice Center Blog, Apr 2, 2014.
- "UAA Student Returns to Her Village to Teach About Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention" by UAA Justice Center. UAA Justice Center Blog, Apr 2, 2014.