Blackboard Instructor Help
Blackboard Learn & Collaborate
Blackboard Learn provides a course site to manage your classes; share resources and files; post, receive, and grade assignments; hold online discussions; and more. Collaborate is a built-in web conferencing tool for holding synchronous online class meetings.
- Getting Started in Blackboard
Blackboard is UAA’s primary online space for courses. At UAA, new Blackboard course shells are created automatically each semester and enrolled students are added to the course; however, faculty must make the course available to students.
If you are new to Blackboard or want a refresher, review this Getting Started with Blackboard Guide or watch the Get Your Course Up and Running webinar (video, 20:10) or the Blackboard 101 Playlist (6 videos, 22:44 total).
- Start by going to Packages and Utilities in the "old" course
- Select All components and then uncheck any you don’t want (e.g., Announcements)
- For Discussions, include only the forums, with no starter posts
- Grade Center Columns and Settings must be checked for assignments, tests or anything connected to the grade center to copy over correctly
- Do not Include Enrollments in the Copy
- Accessibility in Blackboard
- Blackboard Communication Tools
You can use these tools for student introductions, in-depth content conversations, posting presentations, and more. Our Peer Interaction page includes additional information on using Blackboard tools.
- Assessment and Grading in Blackboard
- Blackboard Collaborate
There are two choices for synchronous online web conferencing inside UA Blackboard: Collaborate Ultra and Zoom Meetings (3rd party tool). Both of these tools allow you to share files and applications, use virtual whiteboards, communicate via audio/video/chat, and more. Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a built-in Blackboard tool; an open session is created automatically for your course. (FYI, Collaborate Original is being phased out in December 2020.) Read more about Zoom in the 3rd Party Tools section.
Blackboard Support for Collaborate Ultra
Blackboard 3rd Party Tools at UAA
3rd party tools available inside Blackboard Learn are supported through collaborative efforts of UAA and the vendor. For information about adding functionality to Blackboard with third party tools, review the UAA Blackboard Use Policy.
- Zoom Meetings
- Kaltura Media
Faculty, staff and students have access to Kaltura Media, within Blackboard, to create and share videos and other media as course content. Please review our Creating Videos page for more information.