Blackboard Instructor Help
UAA's Learning Management System
Blackboard Learn provides a course site to manage your classes; share resources and files; post, receive, and grade assignments; hold online discussions; and more.
- New: Changes to Inline Grading Tool
Changes to Inline Grading
The Crocodoc tool we have been using for grading Word and PDF Assignment files right in the Grade Center has been purchased by another company and will be replaced by their tool, New Box View. The switch to this new tool will occur on December 22, 2017. This change will only affect faculty (and their students) using the inline grading feature of Assignments in the Grade Center.
A little about New Box View:
- New Box View allows faculty to see many more file types right in the browser without downloading, including audio, video, image and plain text files, in addition to the Microsoft Office and PDF files that Crocodoc previewed.
- All previous annotations made in Crocodoc will be available to be viewed and downloaded through New Box View as PDFs, however they cannot be changed or deleted.
- Feedback to the student and notes can still be added in the panel on the right hand side as before.
- Safe Assign works as before.
- Rubrics work as before.
- Annotations options include point-based comments and highlighting.
- Faculty who access to more annotation features may want to download the assignment files, mark-up in a preferred annotation tool, and re-upload to the Grade Center.
- Students cannot download their annotated work and they must hover over the comment boxes and click highlighted portions of text to see attached comments.
- New Box View is still under development. Some improvements are slated for early 2018 and we will inform faculty as they are made available.
- Differences between Crocodoc and New Box View
- Getting Started in Blackboard
At UAA, new Blackboard course shells are created automatically for you each semester. You can identify your new course by looking for the year and the semester in the name (e.g. 201703 is the fall or third semester of 2017). In your new Blackboard course shell, be sure Edit Mode is ON (top right corner) as you begin to work on your course.
- EduTip: Getting Started in UAA Blackboard
Includes: Signing in, locating course shells & how to make courses available to students
- Blackboard Quicktips Blog
- Blackboard Grade Center
- Bb Course Export/Import Instructions
- EduTip: Getting Started in UAA Blackboard
- Blackboard Instructor Help
Go to Blackboard Instructor Help for online instructions and tutorials on how to best use Blackboard for your courses.Blackboard Instructor Help
- Kaltura: My Media & CaptureSpace
From within Blackboard faculty, staff and students have access to Kaltura to create and host video media as course content.
- Atomic Learning Online Resources
- Blackboard Collaboration Tools
VoiceThread is a multimedia tool that can be used for discussion boards, instructor lectures, student presentations and more.
Blackboard has built-in tools that can be used for asynchronous online student collaboration. Use for Student introductions, in-depth content conversations, posting presentations and more.
UAA eWolf ePortfolio is another tool faculty can use to engage students and assess additional skills withing their courses. Go to eWolf ePortfolio: The What and the Why to learn more about using eportfolio in the classroom.
- Accessibility in Blackboard
Blackboard's Commitment to Accessibility
Blackboard is fully committed to ensuring that our platform contains no barriers for users with disabilities and is both usable and accessible by everyone, regardless of age, ability or situation. Read more on the Blackboard Accessibility site.
- Deploying Tests and Surveys (step by step instructions, html)
- Blackboard Test Exception Option for extending online testing time and/or date availability
Adding Accessible Content to Blackboard
All content added to your online course environment must be ADA compliant. AI&e has created and curated instruction tutorials designed to assist you in making sure your materials are accessible to all students. If you are unsure about your content you can make an appointment to review your content and get assistance in creating an accessibility plan for your courses. Visit the website below for more information.
UAA Accessibility Resources
- UAA Disability Support Services: Contact UAA DSS with questions, concerns or additional information on student requests. DSS staff will gladly assist you with any questions you may have.
- UAA Accessibility: The accessibility site is designed to help the UAA community understand the rights and responsibilities, as well as the opportunities and obligations, that are integral to ensuring equal access to inclusive environments for a diverse population.
UAA's Web Conferencing Tool
Collaborate is a powerful, flexible tool provided by Blackboard for holding synchronous online classes, office hours, student meetings; and more.
- New: Collaborate Ultra Available Spring 2018
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Available for Spring Semester!
When you set up your Blackboard Collaborate session in your spring Blackboard courses, you will be able to choose Blackboard Collaborate (Original) or Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
Collaborate Ultra is an online web conferencing tool opens right in your browser, so you don't have to install anything. Both versions allow you to share files and applications, use virtual whiteboards, communicate via audio/video/chat and more.
Collaborate Ultra is recommend for new users and those who are interested in a more modern interface with a video focus. Collaborate Original is recommend for long time users and those who utilize the whiteboard as the main focus of the class. Both versions have breakout room and polling options, but the whiteboards in Collaborate Ultra have more limitations. They do not persist when you move to another view, and cannot be saved.
Please contact an instructional designer for help determining which version is right for you.
Bb Support for Collaborate Ultra
- Blackboard Collaborate Instructor Help
Go to Blackboard Collaborate Instructor Help for online instructions and tutorials on how to best use Blackboard Collaborate as your online classroom tool.Blackboard Collaborate Instructor (Moderator) Help
Add Collaborate to Left Navigation
- In your Blackboard course shell select the + symbol at top of left navigation bar
- Select Tool Link
- Name the link: Collaborate (or whatever you want)
- Select from the pull down "Type" menu: Blackboard Collaborate Scheduling Manager
- Select the Available to Users box
- The new link will show up at the bottom of the left navigation bar. Move it by selecting its left side and dragging it up to the location of your choice in the list
First Time Use: Download Collaborate Launcher
At least a day before the first class, install or verify you have the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher. Feel free to share these instructions with your online students so they are prepared to join the class session also.
- From your Blackboard course, go to Blackboard Collaborate
- Click on the session name to start Collaborate (If it is not active, you can edit the start time or create a new session)
- The first time you start a Collaborate web conference on a computer, you will be prompted to install the Collaborate Launcher
- You will need administrative access to load the Collaborate Launcher on the computer
Open/Start a Blackboard Collaborate Session
At least 15 minutes before the class starts:
- From your Blackboard course, go to Blackboard Collaborate
- Click the Session Title
- On the Room Details page click Join Room
- It takes a few minutes for the session to start
- Sometimes the file meeting.collab downloads (locate it in your downloads folder and double-click it)
- Select the correct connection speed if prompted
- Once you are in the Collaborate session (and each new session) run the Audio Set Up Wizard
- Tools > Audio > Audio Set Up Wizard. Follow the instructions until the final dialog
box gives you the set up is complete message
Note: If using a headset, select the correct audio input in your computer audio settings If you can not get your audio set correctly call UAA IT Services at 907-786-4646
- Online Class Moderation Tips
Instructions to Post on the First Whiteboard Page:
- Go through Audio Setup Wizard at: Tools>Audio>Audio setup wizard
- Press "Talk" to talk. Press "Talk" again when you are done speaking
- Let the moderator know if you feel you need to call in using the telephone for your audio (if your computer audio isn’t working or you are experiencing a slow connection)
- Create slides in PowerPoint and upload using Load Content button. Note: Slides convert flat, animations and sound currently do not present within Collaborate.
- When presenting a class lecture, break every few minutes for questions, feedback. Use prompts on slides to encourage discussion.
- Toggle the "Talk" button off/on occasionally to let the audio and internet connection stay in sync
- Watch the "chat area" for questions
- Use the Polling features as a quick check in with your students
- Try the breakout rooms for group work
- Accessibility in Blackboard Collaborate
Blackboard is committed to ensuring that the platform is usable and accessible. The code and user interface design techniques are continually audited to ensure that the application is usable by everyone, to the greatest extent possible, regardless of age, ability, or situation.Accessibility in Blackboard Collaborate
UAA Academic Innovations & eLearning
- (907) 786-4496
- Online Course Design
- Quality Matters
- Academic Technologies
- UAA/APU Consortium Library Room 214
- Open for Appointments & walk-ins
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- (907) 786-4646, Option 1
- (877) 633-3888, Option 1
- Blackboard Learn & Collaborate
- Username & Password
- Computer & Software Support
- Internet & Wireless
- Open extended hours and weekends
Accessibility Statements: Academic Software
The listed technologies are supported by UA OIT or UAA ITS. If you are using software or apps not on this list for teaching and learning you are federally required to supply accessibility options to all students.
Blackboard Learn, UAA Blackboard Use Policy, Blackboard Collaborate, Google Apps for Education, eWolf ePortfolio (Digication), VoiceThread, Qualtrics Survey Tools, Microsoft Office, Adobe Pro IX, Adobe Reader
For the most updated supported software list at UA visit https://www.alaska.edu/oit/services/software-downloads/