Blackboard Instructor Help
Blackboard Learn provides a course site to manage your classes; share resources and files; post, receive, and grade assignments; hold online discussions; and more.
- Getting Started in Blackboard
At UAA new Blackboard course shells are created automatically for you each semester. Find your course by looking for the year and the semester in the name (e.g. 201703 is the fall or third semester of 2017). In your new Blackboard course shell, be sure Edit Mode is ON (top right corner) as you begin to work on your course.
- Blackboard Quicktips Blog
- Blackboard Grade Center
- Blackboard Course Import Instructions
- Blackboard Course Export Instructions
- Adding Accessible Content in Blackboard
Blackboard is fully committed to ensuring the platform contains no barriers for users with disabilities and is accessible to everyone, regardless of age, ability or situation.Accessibility in Blackboard Originalblackboard original accessibility statement Blackboard Ally Accessibility ToolBlackboard Ally
- Blackboard Communication Tools
- Hoonuit Resources(formerly Atomic Learning)
- Kaltura: My Media & CaptureSpace
Faculty, staff and students have access to Kaltura, within Blackboard, to create and host video and media as course content.
VoiceThread is an interactive visual collaboration and sharing tool that can be used for discussion boards, instructor lectures, student presentations and more.
Visit: Using VoiceThread to Increase Student Engagement and Community to get started with VoiceThread.
- eWolf ePortfolio
- Changes to Inline Grading Tool
The Crocodoc tool we have been using for grading Word and PDF Assignment files right in the Grade Center was replaced by New Box View. This change will only affect faculty (and their students) using the inline grading feature of Assignments in the Grade Center.
New Box View:
- New Box View allows faculty to see many more file types right in the browser without downloading, including audio, video, image and plain text files, in addition to the Microsoft Office and PDF files that Crocodoc previewed.
- All previous annotations made in Crocodoc will be available to be viewed and downloaded through New Box View as PDFs, however they cannot be changed or deleted.
- Feedback to the student and notes can still be added in the panel on the right hand side as before.
- Safe Assign works as before.
- Rubrics work as before.
- Annotations options include point-based comments and highlighting.
- Faculty who access more annotation features may want to download the assignment files, mark-up in a preferred annotation tool, and re-upload to the Grade Center.
- Students cannot download their annotated work and they must hover over the comment boxes and click highlighted portions of text to see attached comments.
- Differences between Crocodoc and New Box View
Collaborate is a powerful, flexible web conferencing tool provided by Blackboard for holding synchronous online classes, office hours, student meetings; and more.
- Collaborate Ultra
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
When you set up your Blackboard Collaborate session in your courses, you will be able to choose Blackboard Collaborate (Original) or Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
Collaborate Ultra is an online web conferencing tool that opens in your browser, - no need to install anything. Both versions allow you to share files and applications, use virtual whiteboards, communicate via audio/video/chat and much more. Collaborate Ultra is recommended for new users and those who are interested in a more modern interface with a video focus.
Collaborate Original is recommended for experienced users and those who utilize the whiteboard as the main focus of the class. Both versions have breakout rooms and polling options, but the whiteboards in Collaborate Ultra have more limitations. The markup on the whiteboards disappears and cannot be saved when you move to another view.
Please contact an instructional designer for help determining which version is right for you.
Bb Support for Collaborate Ultra
- Blackboard Collaborate Instructor Help
Go to Blackboard Collaborate Instructor Help for online instructions and tutorials on how to best use Bb Collaborate as your online classroom tool.Blackboard Collaborate Instructor Help
- Adding Accessible Content in Collaborate Ultra
Add Collaborate to Left Navigation
- In your Blackboard course shell select the + symbol at top of left navigation bar
- Select Tool Link
- Name the link: Collaborate (or whatever you want)
- Select from the pull down "Type" menu: Blackboard Collaborate Scheduling Manager
- Select the Available to Users box
- The new link will show up at the bottom of the left navigation bar. Move it by selecting its left side and dragging it up to the location of your choice in the list
First Time Use: Download Collaborate Launcher
At least a day before the first class, install or verify you have the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher. Share these instructions with your online students so they are prepared to join the class session.
- From your Blackboard course, go to Blackboard Collaborate
- Click on the session name to start Collaborate (If it is not active, you can edit the start time or create a new session)
- The first time you start a Collaborate web conference on a computer, you will be prompted to install the Collaborate Launcher
- You will need administrative access to load the Collaborate Launcher on the computer
Open/Start a Blackboard Collaborate Session
At least 15 minutes before the class starts:
- From your Blackboard course, go to Blackboard Collaborate
- Click the Session Title
- On the Room Details page click Join Room
- It takes a few minutes for the session to start
- Sometimes the file meeting.collab downloads (locate it in your downloads folder and double-click it)
- Select the correct connection speed if prompted
- Once you are in the Collaborate session (and each new session) run the Audio Set Up Wizard
- Tools > Audio > Audio Set Up Wizard. Follow the instructions until the final dialog
box gives you the "set up is complete" message
Note: If using a headset, select the correct audio input in your computer audio settings. If you cannot get your audio set correctly call UAA IT Services at 907-786-4646
- Online Class Moderation Tips
Instructions to Post on the First Whiteboard Page:
- Go through Audio Setup Wizard at: Tools>Audio>Audio setup wizard
- Press "Talk" to talk. Press "Talk" again when you are done speaking
- Let the moderator know if you feel you need to call in using the telephone for your audio (if your computer audio is not working or you are experiencing a slow connection)
- Create slides in PowerPoint and upload using the Load Content button. Note: Slides convert flat, animations and sound currently do not present within Collaborate.
- When presenting a class lecture, break every few minutes for questions, feedback. Use prompts on slides to encourage discussion.
- Toggle the "Talk" button off/on occasionally to let the audio and internet connection stay in sync
- Watch the "chat area" for questions
- Use the Polling features as a quick check in with your students
- Try the breakout rooms for group work
Blackboard Quick Links
If you'd like additional individual or department training, please contact
AI&e at 786-4496.