Diagnostic Medical Sonography A.A.S.
Explore the diagnostic medical sonography associate degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageDesigned to enhance an undergraduate degree or job experience in a health care, treatment or rehabilitation field, UAA’s associate degree in diagnostic medical sonography prepares you for national certification exams from the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography and the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
What is diagnostic medical sonography?
Sonography, or ultrasound, is a medical imaging specialty that uses advanced computerized technology to generate sound waves to produce diagnostic images and provide support for interventional procedures such as biopsies. Sonographers, also known as ultrasonographers and ultrasound technologists, help radiologists and other physicians assess and diagnose medical conditions such as blood clots and heart disease. Many health care employers require general sonographers, ultrasound technicians and diagnostic imaging workers to be certified.
Scholarships and financial aid
Learn how to get help paying for college from the UAA Office of Financial Aid.
Sonography schooling for specialized job skills
The preparedness, quality and consistency of students who graduate with a diagnostic medical sonography associate degree place UAA’s program among the best sonography schools in the country. As part of a health care team, you will learn to communicate with patients and physicians, perform clinical assessments, adapt medical procedures, identify normal and abnormal sonographic findings and record sonographic data.
Diagnostic medical sonography student clubs and activities
UAA offers 100 student clubs and activities on campus that fit any passion or interest. You’re encouraged to participate in health care activities, leadership programs, Greek organizations and more.
Did you know..
The diagnostic medical sonography program at UAA boasts a 100 percent pass rate on the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers’ Sonographic Principles and Instrumentation Exam, compared to the exam’s national pass rate of 72 percent.
What can you do with an ultrasound tech degree from UAA?Sonographers typically choose from three primary career paths: general sonography, including abdominal organs, pregnancy, the female reproductive system and most of the other body systems; cardiac sonography, which targets the heart; and vascular technology, which targets blood vessels.
The University of Alaska Anchorage focuses on preparing you for entry-level employment as a general sonographer, ultrasound technician or diagnostic imaging worker in a variety of health care settings such as hospitals and medical centers, physicians’ offices, and medical and diagnostic labs.
Diagnostic medical sonography careers
UAA alumni are employed in health care facilities and organizations in Alaska and beyond. They include:
- Providence Alaska Medical Center
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Alaska Regional Hospital
- Advanced Sonograms
- Fairbanks Imaging and Breast Center/Fairbanks Memorial Hospital
By the numbers..
Diagnostic medical sonography associate degree program highlightsThe University of Alaska Anchorage combines specialized education and training with advanced technology and resources to develop your knowledge and skills in diagnostic medical sonography.
- Participate in clinical rotations for a breadth of experience in medical imaging. As a diagnostic medical sonography major, you’ll complete 1,680 hours of clinical training with several health care facilities in Anchorage and throughout Alaska.
- Work at clinical sites for first-hand experience. With a changing list of partners, UAA offers a variety of learning opportunities in urban and rural Alaska communities.
- Get guidance on fulfilling admission and degree program requirements. Program faculty provide engaging classroom instruction, as well as student advising and support. They are all certified to perform obstetrics and gynecology, as well as abdomen exams. Plus, some have provided expertise in educational publications.
- Receive individualized instruction and attention. Program faculty work with students one-on-one in the classroom and labs.
- Work with some of the best special imaging equipment available only at top ultrasound technician schools. UAA’s program houses two General Electric LOGIQ E9 machines with nine different transducer types, a Nanosonics Trophon EPR ultrasound probe disinfecting unit and SonoSim, an ultrasound simulation training solution for additional practice with imaging techniques, pathologic conditions, obstetrics and gynecology, and anatomy and physiology.
Diagnostic medical sonography associate degree program curriculumCoursework in UAA’s associate diagnostic medical sonography program develops broad knowledge and skills in physics, anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology, particularly as they relate to sonography.
Gain first-hand experience in performing abdominal, gynecological, fetal, breast, vascular, small part and superficial exams using special imaging equipment.
Top classes for diagnostic medical sonography majors
- Practice ultrasound imaging utilizing advanced sonography technology in Clinical Practicum I and II.
- Explore the anatomy, physiology and pathologic conditions of breast tissue, along with sonographic findings and scanning protocols, in Breast Sonography.
- Examine neonatal and pediatric sonographic tests of anatomy, physiology and pathology in Pediatric Sonography.