Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
Explore the family nurse practitioner graduate certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
The accredited F.N.P. certification program at UAA offers specialized training and
experience in the context of Alaska’s diverse populations and health care delivery
system, with a focus on providing primary care for families. The certificate program
is designed for students who have completed their Master of Science in Nursing and
who are credentialed nurse practitioners.
F.N.P. scholarships and financial aid
Learn more about scholarships from the University of Alaska Foundation and other opportunities to get help paying for graduate school from the UAA Office of Financial Aid.
Online classes and distance learning
Get nurse practitioner certified while staying close to home. Most F.N.P. classes are delivered online with occasional visits to the UAA campus. Clinical rotations are completed across Alaska in students’ home communities, if possible.
Family nurse practitioner certification
Complete UAA’s F.N.P. graduate certificate program to become eligible for national certification exams administered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
Nursing student advising
Certificate requirements vary depending on the type of nurse practitioner credentials you have coming into the program. Work with your academic advisor to explore your options and develop a plan.
Did you know..
UAA’s F.N.P. graduate certificate program is specifically designed for nurse practitioners already certified in another specialty area, such as psychiatric mental-health, adult care, pediatrics or women’s health.
What can you do with a family nurse practitioner certificate from UAA?
Prospective employers frequently contact UAA Nursing to set up interviews with future
family nurse practitioners. With strong foundational and practice-ready skills gained
from the F.N.P. certificate program, you will qualify for high-demand jobs in health
care, particularly in urban and rural communities across Alaska, as well as specialized
Family nurse practitioner graduate programs
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Family nurse practitioner careers
Most F.N.P. graduate students accept jobs before graduation in the following nursing specialty fields:
- Family care
- Private practice
By the numbers..
Family nurse practitioner graduate certificate program highlights
UAA’s certificate for family nurse practitioners combines real-world clinical experience and distance learning courses into an intensive, interprofessional program that addresses the health care needs of diverse, underserved and rural populations in Alaska.
- Make a difference in your own community. Work with your academic advisor to create opportunities with clinics and internship sites in or near your hometown.
- Participate in service learning and gain exposure to rural health care issues and subsistence lifestyles. For example, you can join program faculty in conducting Head Start screening physicals for small, rural Alaska villages.
- Learn from program faculty, instructors and preceptors who are experienced nursing professionals. These include board-certified nurses, clinical practitioners and UAA alumni with a variety of specialties, ranging from telehealth, mental illness, rural mental health care and emergency psychiatric medicine to child abuse forensics and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.
- Join a student or professional organization to connect with nurses throughout Alaska. These are some opportunities for family nurse practitioners:
- UAA Student Nurses Association
- Alaska Nurse Practitioner Association
- Alaska Nurses Association
Family nurse practitioner graduate certificate program curriculumBased on standards set by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and the National League for Nursing, the F.N.P. certificate program curriculum features didactic, seminar and clinical coursework in content-specific specialty areas of family care.
Top classes for family nurse practitioner majors
- Adult Care Family Nurse Practitioner
- Women’s Health Family Nurse Practitioner
- Pediatrics Family Nurse Practitioner
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Family Nurse Practitioner