Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
Explore the family nurse practitioner graduate certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
The accredited FNP certification program at UAA offers specialized training and experience
in the context of Alaska’s diverse populations and health care delivery system, with
a focus on providing primary care for families. The certificate program is designed
for students who have completed their Master of Science in Nursing and who are credentialed
FNP scholarships and financial aid
Learn more about scholarships from the University of Alaska Foundation and other opportunities to get help paying for graduate school from the UAA Office of Financial Aid.
Online classes and distance learning
Get nurse practitioner certified while staying in-state. All FNP classes are delivered online with occasional visits to the UAA campus. Clinical rotations are completed across Alaska in students’ home communities, if possible.
Family nurse practitioner certification
Complete UAA’s FNP graduate certificate program to become eligible for national certification exams administered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
Nursing student advising
Certificate requirements vary depending on the type of nurse practitioner credentials you have coming into the program. Work with your academic advisor to explore your options and develop a plan.
Did you know..
UAA’s FNP graduate certificate program is specifically designed for nurse practitioners already certified in another specialty area, such as psychiatric mental-health, adult care, pediatrics or women’s health.
What can you do with a family nurse practitioner certificate from UAA?
Prospective employers frequently contact UAA Nursing to set up interviews with future
family nurse practitioners. With strong foundational and practice-ready skills gained
from the FNP certificate program, you will qualify for high-demand jobs in health
care, particularly in urban and rural communities across Alaska, as well as specialized
Family nurse practitioner graduate programs
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Family nurse practitioner careers
Most FNP graduate students accept jobs before graduation in the following nursing specialty fields:
- Family care
- Internal medicine
- Private practice
- Women's health
By the numbers..
Family nurse practitioner graduate certificate program highlights
UAA’s certificate for family nurse practitioners combines real-world clinical experience and distance learning courses into an intensive, interprofessional program that addresses the health care needs of diverse, underserved and rural populations in Alaska.
- Make a difference in the community. Work with your academic advisor to create opportunities with clinics in the state of Alaska.
- Participate in service learning and gain exposure to rural health care issues and subsistence lifestyles. For example, you can join program faculty in conducting Head Start screening physicals for small, rural Alaska villages.
- Learn from program faculty, instructors and preceptors who are experienced nursing professionals.
- Join a student or professional organization to connect with nurses throughout Alaska. These are some opportunities for family nurse practitioners:
- UAA Student Nurses Association
- Alaska Nurse Practitioner Association
- Alaska Nurses Association
Family nurse practitioner graduate certificate program curriculumBased on standards set by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, the family nurse practitioner certificate program curriculum features didactic, seminar and clinical coursework in content-specific specialty areas of family care.
Top classes for family nurse practitioner majors
- Advanced Pharmacology
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Advanced Assessment skills
- Family nurse practitioner core classes with clinicals: Women's Health class with 180 clinical hours, Pediatrics class with 180 clinical hours, Family Health 2 semesters with clinical hours of 180 and 240