You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Explore the Master of Science in Nursing degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageWith a focus on diverse, rural and underserved populations, the accredited Master of Science in Nursing program at UAA offers professional nursing practice, theory and research in the context of Alaska’s diverse populations and health care delivery system.
Nursing science scholarships and financial aid
Online classes and distance learning
National certification exams
- For the FNP concentration, exams are offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- For the PMHNP concentration, exams are offered by ANCC.
- For the education concentration, you will be eligible to take the National League of Nursing Certified Nurse Educator Exam.
- For the administration concentration, you will also need two years of executive nursing experience to be eligible for the American Organization of Nurse Executives exam for certification in Executive Nursing Practice.
Explore your options and develop a plan to complete your MSN with help from the program chair, a faculty advisor and a project chair.
Did you know..
The median annual salary for nurse practitioners is $103k, according to Salary.com.
What can you do with a Master of Nursing Science degree from UAA?
An MSN degree helps qualify you for high-demand jobs in health care working with urban
and rural communities across Alaska and provides a strong foundation for specialized
Nursing science graduate programs
- Graduate certificate in family nurse practitioner
- Graduate certificate in nursing education
- Graduate certificate in psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner
- Graduate certificate in leadership
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Nursing science careers
- Most FNP graduate students accept jobs before graduation as family nurse practitioners in family care, private practice and specialty fields
- PMHNP graduate students also typically receive job offers before they graduate to work in private practice offices, integrated primary care clinics, itinerant rural service programs, community health centers and specialty inpatient hospitals.
- Nursing leadership graduate students most commonly work as educators in academia or patient care settings, as well as mid-level managers.
By the numbers..
Master of Science in Nursing degree program highlights
Combining hands-on simulations, real-world clinical experience and distance learning courses, UAA’s MSN is an intensive, interprofessional degree program for advanced nurse practitioners.
Work with urban and rural communities throughout Alaska in internships and clinical experiences.
- PMHNP graduate students have co-led support groups for traumatized children and provided outpatient psychiatric care to veterans, transgender youth and young adults.
- FNP graduate students have been working with faculty in small, rural Alaska villages to conduct Head Start screening physicals.
- Nursing leadership graduate students have worked in academic teaching, simulations and administration.
Learn from experienced nursing professionals in a variety of settings.
Participate in a variety of professional and social activities and events.
Graduate students in nursing can join the following:
- Alaska Nurses Association
- Alaska Nurse Practitioner Association
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nurses Credentialing Center
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
Master of Science in Nursing degree program curriculum
With special opportunities in rural health care issues and subsistence lifestyles,
UAA’s MSN program trains culturally sensitive nursing practitioners and promotes collaboration
across health care fields.
Top classes for nursing science graduate students
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Pharmacology for Primary Care
- Technology for Learning and Collaboration in the Professions
- Public and Non-Profit Organizational Behavior