You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Paralegal Studies A.A.S.
Explore the paralegal studies associate degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Develop technical job skills in legal research, writing and computer applications, as well as specialized knowledge in government regulation and legal processes, to begin a successful paraprofessional career in the legal field.
Paralegal scholarships and financial aid
You may qualify for Justice Center UAA Administration scholarships or the Alaska Association of Paralegals scholarship, as well as university-funded scholarships. Learn more from the UAA Office of Financial Aid.
ABA-approved paralegal studies degree program
With an associate degree from an ABA-approved program, you qualify to sit for several national certification or registration exams for paralegals and legal assistants. American Bar Association approval is widely recognized by U.S. lawyers as the standard in legal education. With a curriculum that is up to date and responsive to the needs of the legal community, UAA's A.A.S. in paralegal studies is closely monitored for faculty qualification, library resources, student placement and assessment.
Online class options
The legal studies program strives to make the online completion of the degree an option for all students. Choose from an increasing number of online elective courses, as well as some online core courses.
Earn your degree faster
Transfer credits for qualified coursework completed at U.S. institutions with ABA-approved paralegal programs to fulfill general education, legal specialty and non-legal specialty course requirements. Refer to the UAA course catalog and meet with an advisor for more information.
Pre-major and full major paralegal advising
Program faculty mentors and internship coordinators are here to help answer all of your questions about everything from course prerequisites, degree program requirements and curriculum changes to academic planning, class scheduling and degree status. Dedicated advisors are also available for incoming students.
Student clubs and activities
Take an active role in your community by participating in public service activities that match your interests. You may be particularly interested in the following organizations:
- Alaska Association of Paralegals, a member of the National Federation of Paralegal Associations, at a discounted rate for paralegal studies majors
- Society of Law and Justice, open to all UAA students
- Alpha Phi Sigma, UAA's student chapter of the national criminal justice honor society that students join by invitation.
Did you know..
Take associate paralegal studies courses that also meet bachelor’s degree program requirements for a clear pathway to related four-year degree programs at UAA. All paralegal studies courses count towards the ABA-approved B.A. in legal studies.
What can you do with a paralegal studies degree from UAA?
With an ABA-approved Associate of Applied Science in paralegal studies degree from
the University of Alaska Anchorage, you will be prepared for legal assistant and paralegal
jobs or legal, justice or business undergraduate programs.
Related undergraduate degree programs
- B.A. in legal studies
- B.A. in justice
- Bachelor of Business Administration
Paralegals and legal assistants work in a variety of public and private settings, including:
- Corporate legal departments
- State and federal agencies and court systems
- Legal and public service agencies
- Private practice law offices
- Nonprofit organizations
By the numbers..
Paralegal studies associate degree program highlights
Build a successful paraprofessional career as a paralegal or legal assistant. With extensive resources, the University of Alaska Anchorage is committed to helping you complete the demands of the associate degree in paralegal studies.
- Earn credit for a semester of work at an internship placement. Observe, study and participate in the daily operations of top local law offices and governmental agencies, such as the Federal Public Defender’s Office, Alaska Court System and Municipality of Anchorage Legal Department. You can gain direct experience working alongside legal professionals to understand job responsibilities and legal culture while building professional connections that help you build your career and collaborate effectively.
- Access exceptional opportunities to learn from expert faculty. All faculty in the ABA-approved paralegal studies degree program hold Juris Doctor (J.D.) degrees and are experienced attorneys who practiced for years before joining UAA’s Justice Center. With diverse educational backgrounds and exceptional experience, they offer legal expertise through instruction in a variety of legal areas, including criminal law, tribal courts, health law and civil liberties.
- Enhance your paralegal studies in the UAA Justice Center. Home to the justice and legal studies degree programs at the University of Alaska Anchorage, the Justice Center is also the hub of research in diverse crime, law and justice issues, such as the court systems, recidivism and violence against women. As a paralegal studies major, you have direct access to the Justice Center’s academic advisors and student computer lab.
Amazing stories from paralegal studies majors
I love the small size of the paralegal studies program. The professors are knowledgeable about what they do, and they really care—they’ll go out of their way to help you. They know you by name, and you can just reach out and talk to any of them. They’ve been with me the whole way.
Paralegal studies associate degree program curriculum
The University of Alaska Anchorage’s ABA-approved Associate of Applied Science in paralegal studies focuses on developing marketable job skills, from written communication and online legal research to critical thinking and public speaking.
The associate degree program’s rigorous curriculum and training combines general education, legal specialty courses and non-legal specialty courses to expand your knowledge of legal practice while developing practical paralegal skills.
Top classes for paralegal studies majors
- Argue a case to a local judge in Trial and Advanced Litigation Processes.
- Prepare written discovery requests in Evidence, Investigation and Discovery.
- Prepare realistic court pleadings, such as complaints, in Civil Procedure.