Paralegal Studies Post-Baccalaureate Certificate
Explore the paralegal studies certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Broaden your marketable job skills for a variety of professions in the legal field. UAA's certificate in paralegal studies is designed for students who have completed a bachelor's degree and are interested in working with licensed attorneys.
A starting point for law school
Explore topics in legal theory and practice that give you a preview of law school and help you decide if it's the right fit for you. UAA has entered into a variety of different options to assist its students in admission to and success in law school. For high-achieving students, an accelerated law school admission option allows you to begin law school after your junior year of undergraduate study.
ABA program approval
Offering the same core education as UAA's undergraduate degree in paralegal studies, the post-bachelor certificate program is approved by the American Bar Association, which is widely recognized by U.S. lawyers as the standard in legal education. With a curriculum that is up to date and responsive to the needs of the legal community, UAA's post-baccalaureate certificate in paralegal studies is closely monitored for faculty qualification, library resources, student placement and assessment.
Paralegal studies scholarships and financial aid
You may qualify for Justice Center UAA Administration scholarships or the Alaska Association of Paralegals scholarship, as well as university-funded scholarships. Learn more from the UAA Office of Financial Aid.
The legal studies program strives to make the online completion of the degree an option for all students. Choose from an increasing number of online elective courses, as well as some online core courses.
Transfer credits to earn your paralegal studies certificate faster
Earn credit for qualified coursework completed at U.S. institutions with ABA-approved paralegal programs. Transfer credit may fulfill general education, legal specialty and non-legal specialty course requirements. Refer to the UAA course catalog and meet with an advisor for more information.
Student advising and support
Program faculty mentors and internship coordinators are here to help you get the most from your certificate program and prepare for the future. Get help with the application and admission, class scheduling, prerequisite preparation, elective recommendations and more.
Student clubs and activities
Get involved with your community. You may be particularly interested in the following clubs and activities:
Did you know..
Thebestschools.org ranks UAA’s Justice Center #11 in the nation for legal studies degree programs. In the paralegal studies post-baccalaureate certificate, you’ll have access to the same opportunities that have earned UAA its national reputation, from core coursework to program faculty.
What can you do with a paralegal studies certificate from UAA?
Many of our post-baccalaureate students apply for law school. If this is not your
path, then with specialized training you can work in private practice law offices,
corporate legal departments, legal and public service agencies, state and federal
agencies and court systems.
- Legal assistants
- Title examiners and abstractors
- Regulation coordinators and compliance officers
By the numbers..
Paralegal studies certificate program highlights
By continuing your education in UAA’s paralegal studies certificate program, you will develop the technical knowledge and skills necessary for a paraprofessional career in legal services.
- Earn credit for a semester-long internship with a top local law office or governmental agency. Post-bachelor students in paralegal studies have worked with the Federal Public Defender’s Office, the Alaska Court System and the Municipality of Anchorage Legal Department. Internships provide direct experience working alongside legal professionals to observe, study and participate in daily operations to understand work responsibilities and legal culture. They also help you build professional connections that may lead to job offers and other career opportunities.
- Feel at home in the UAA Justice Center, the Alaska hub of research on diverse crime, law and justice issues. Also housing all justice and legal studies programs at UAA, the Justice Center offers access to a student computer lab and academic advisors.
- Learn from faculty with diverse expertise, experience and educational backgrounds. Their legal expertise ranges from tribal courts and criminal law to health law and civil liberties. All program faculty hold Juris Doctor law degrees and practiced for years before joining UAA.
Amazing stories from paralegal studies students
The paralegal studies certificate program challenged me to think logically and communicate clearly, and I really enjoyed that. All the professors were enthusiastic about what they were doing. That helps motivate students—when the professor truly enjoys what they’re doing, it helps you catch fire.
Paralegal studies certificate program curriculumDevelop practical paralegal skills and expand your knowledge of legal practice. With a rigorous curriculum of legal specialty courses, UAA’s post-bachelor certificate in paralegal studies focuses on developing marketable job skills in legal services, from online legal research and written communication to public speaking and critical thinking.
Top classes in the paralegal studies certificate program
- Learn about the impacts of criminal law and policy on current events in Alaska in Criminal Law and Procedure
- Participate in simulated trial, oral argument and negotiation in Trial and Advanced Litigation Processes
- Learn about the unique ethical responsibilities of lawyers and legal assistants in Legal Ethics and the Role of the Legal Professional