Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
Explore the psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner graduate certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Offering specialized experience and training in the context of Alaska’s health care
delivery system and diverse populations, UAA’s accredited P.M.H.-N.P. certification
program focuses on providing psychiatric-mental health services to families. The certificate
program is designed for students who have completed their Master of Science in Nursing
and who are credentialed nurse practitioners.
P.M.H.-N.P. scholarships and financial aid
Get help paying for graduate school. Visit the UAA Office of Financial Aid to learn more about scholarships from the University of Alaska Foundation as well as various other opportunities.
Online classes and distance learning
Stay close to home while getting nurse practitioner-certified. Most P.M.H.-N.P. classes are delivered online with occasional visits to UAA’s campus. Clinical rotations are completed across Alaska in students’ home communities, if possible.
Psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner certification
Complete UAA’s P.M.H.-N.P. graduate certificate program and you will become eligible for the American Nurses Credentialing Center national certification exam.
Nursing student advising
Work with an academic advisor to explore your options and develop a plan for completing the certificate program requirements.
Did you know..
UAA’s P.M.H.-N.P. graduate certificate program is specifically designed for advanced nurse practitioners with a graduate degree in nursing and professional certification in fields other than psychiatric-mental health.
What can you do with a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner certificate from UAA?
Psychiatric and mental health nurse practitioners who received their training and
certificate from UAA work across Alaska, from Fairbanks to Kodiak to the Aleutian
P.M.H.N.P. graduate programs
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner careers
Typically receiving job offers before they graduate, UAA P.M.H.-N.P. alumni find jobs in a variety of urban and rural settings, such as:
- Mental health and psychiatric hospitals
- Private practice offices
- Integrated primary care clinics
- Itinerant rural services
- Community health centers
- Specialty inpatient hospitals
- Military branches and VA hospitals
By the numbers..
Psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner graduate certificate program highlights
Addressing the health care needs of rural, underserved and diverse populations in Alaska, UAA’s certificate for psychiatric and mental health nurse practitioners combines real-world clinical experience with distance learning courses for an intensive, interprofessional graduate program.
- Practice autonomously while earning clinical hours. You have the option to be placed in a preceptorship.
- Complete your practicum requirements while making a difference in your own community. Internships and clinical experiences are available throughout Alaska in rural and urban communities.
- Add a service learning component to your practicum. For example, graduate students have co-led support groups for traumatized children and provided outpatient psychiatric care for transgender youth, young adults and veterans.
- Learn from board-certified nurses, clinical practitioners and UAA alumni. Program faculty, instructors and preceptors are experienced nursing professionals with a variety of specialties, including telehealth, mental illness, rural mental health care, emergency psychiatric medicine, fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and child abuse forensics.
- Connect with nurses throughout Alaska by joining a student or professional organization. The following are some opportunities for mental health and psychiatric nurse practitioners:
- UAA Student Nurses Association
- Alaska Nurses Association
- Alaska Nurse Practitioner Association
- Alaska Psychiatric Association
Psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner graduate certificate program curriculum
Combining didactic, seminar and clinical components, the P.M.H.-N.P. certificate program
coursework features content-specific specialty areas of psychiatric and mental health.
The curriculum follows standards set by the National League for Nursing and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
Top classes for psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner majors
- Advanced Practice Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing I, II, III and IV
- Psychopharmacology for Advanced Nursing