Student Health and Counseling Center
The Student Health and Counseling Center (SHCC) promotes optimal health for the University community through access to high quality and affordable health care, preventative health care, individual counseling, consulting, outreach and health education.
The Student Health and Counseling Center is committed to fostering a welcoming, supportive environment where ALL students are valued. The team works together to provide evidence-based, comprehensive, and compassionate healthcare and education to UAA students seeking services regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, or other diverse experiences or identities that contribute to an individual.
Tis The Season ... Flu Season
Get your flu shot today!
The Student Health and Counseling Center is offering $15 flu shots for everyone over the age of 18, including faculty, staff, and students, regardless of eligibility. UAA students under the age of 18 can be accommodated with parental consent, just give us a call!
Most colds and the flu are caused by a virus. Unfortunately, antibiotics do not treat viruses. Prevention is a great way to help avoid becoming sick.
What are the symptoms of a cold?
- Nasal or sinus congestion
- Clear, white, yellow, or green nasal discharge
- Sore throat
- Ear congestion
- Muscle aches
- Fever of less than 101 degrees F
Make an Appointment if:
- You have a fever over 101 degrees F
- Breathing is difficult or painful
- Severe sore throat lasting longer than 2-3 days
- Cough producing large amounts of green or bloody mucous
- Severe headache or neck pain
- Symptoms that last longer than 7-10 days
Already feeling under the weather?
Recovery is right around the corner. Here are some self care tips for the cold and flu.
- Get plenty of rest. That means staying in and getting extra sleep.
- Drink plenty of fluids! Water, herbal tea, and chicken broth are all great.
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently.
- Take a hot steamy shower to help loosen mucous.
- For a sore throat gargle with warm salt water.
- Amp up your Vitamin C intake. Orange juice, broccoli, cantaloupe, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and strawberries are all rich in Vitamin C.
Call or Walk-In for Appointments:
Holiday Closure: Monday 1/21/19
Fall and Spring:
Thursday: 8am-1pm and 2pm-6pm
Our Teamoptional hidden text