Who is eligible for services?

The SHCC provides services for students currently enrolled in six (6) or more academic credits and who have paid the SHCC fee. [See Eligibility]

Is there a cancellation policy?

The cancellation policy states that a $25.00 charge will be assessed to the UAA Student Account for a "no show" appointment.  Please call to cancel your appointment. There is a 10 minute grace period for all appointments.  A voicemail message is acceptable when a date and time is included. If you wish to appeal the charge please fill out this form and submit it to the SHCC.

How much do services cost?

There is no charge for routine physical health and mental health office visits. In addition to physical exams, tuberculosis skin tests (PPDs) are $8 each and HIV screens are no charge. All laboratory tests, x-ray services, SHCC pharmacy items, immunizations, and procedures are offered at greatly reduced cost.

As of December 5, 2016, there will be a charge per visit for immunization ($15-$30) and lab collection ($25).

United HealthCare graduate student health insurance, pays for most care done at the SHCC. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alaska pays for much of the care given here, but percentage of coverage depends on the individual policy.

The Student Health and Counseling Center will submit claims on behalf of the student for United Healthcare grad student plan, and Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield.

What are some basic lab costs

CBC $6.00
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel $7.00
Lipids (cholesterol) $10.00
Pregnancy test $9.00
Strep screen $9.00
Strep culture $33.00
TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) $11.00
Urinalysis $3.00
Urine culture $28.00

These prices are subject to change but are kept as low as possible for the students.

Where can I find counseling services on the UAA campus?

There are three departments that provide counseling services at UAA:
(1)  Student Health and Counseling Center            786-4040
(2)  Student Development Counseling Services       786-6158
(3)  Psychology Department Services                   786-1726

Please review this summary of available counseling services at UAA.

What are the contraceptive options at the SHCC?

The Student Health and Counseling Center has a variety of birth control pills, the Nuva Ring, Depo Provera injection, IUD's, Nexplanon and free condoms.
Costs: See Contraception Offered page for current pricing. These prices are subject to change, but we do try to keep costs as low as possible for students.

An annual exam is required to receive any form of contraception at the SHCC. While new pap guidelines do not require a yearly pap, an annual exam is still required to maintain your prescriptions. If your annual exam is due, you may schedule one at the SHCC or at one of the several area clinics and have the results faxed to us. If you have had a annual exam within the past year, we can help you fill out an authorization so your provider can fax the results to us.

Can I get emergency contraception at the SHCC?

Yes, we have Plan B and Ella available. This must be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. A 20 minute appointment is required.

What lab work can be done at the SHCC during my visit?

We offer on site pregnancy testing, urinalysis, rapid Strep, and rapid Influenza. The results are available in 5-10 minutes. In addition to on site lab work, we also contract with the State of Alaska laboratory, and Quest laboratory services for full laboratory services.

How long does it take to get my lab results?

Basic labs such as CBC or cholesterol screening are available within a few days. Any labwork sent to the State of Alaska, i.e. HIV screening or titers, take 2-3 weeks before we receive the results.

What other kinds of tests can I have done at the SHCC?

You can get any type of testing that could be done by another provider in the Anchorage area. We order x-rays, CT scans, MRI'S, mammograms, ultrasounds, and EKG's. Referrals are made to the Anchorage community such as physical therapy, medical specialties for further evaluation.

Can I get a routine physical at the SHCC?

We offer routine physicals at no cost to the student. Examples of routine physicals: sports, work, student teaching, ROTC, nursing program, and dental hygiene program.
There are charges for any lab work done with a physical  exam, such as a PAP test, CBC or urinalysis.

How do I get my medical records from the SHCC?

A patient can request their medical records to be sent from or to the SHCC after completing a consent for records release. It is a SHCC policy to destroy inactive medical records after seven years. Please allow a minimum of 24 hours to prepare records for completion of requests. There is an interactive form on the main page of this website under Medical Records. 

Questions? Call our main number at 907-786-4040 and select 4 for Medical Records or call 907-786-4098, directly.

Who's on your staff?

The Student Health and Counseling Center is staffed by Advanced Nurse Practitioners specializing in family health care or psychiatric/mental health, medical assistants, consulting physicians, fiscal coordinator, and administrative assistants.

"An Advanced Nurse Practitioner is a registered nurse authorized to practice in the State, who, because of specialized education and experience, is certified to perform acts of medical diagnosis and the prescription of medical, therapeutic or corrective measures under regulations adopted by the Board of Nursing."  (AS08.68.410(1)). Advanced Nurse Practitioners are committed to caring for the whole person and to educate and empower clients to make informed health care choices.

Click on Staff to meet us!


In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software

Back to top