What is Measles? Measles is a highly contagious respiratory disease caused by a virus. It spreads through the air through coughing and sneezing. Measles starts with a fever, runny nose, cough, red eyes, and a sore throat; these symptoms are followed by a rash that spreads all over the body. About 3 out of 10 people who get the measles will develop one or more complications, including pneumonia, ear infections, or diarrhea.
Is Measles a Concern for the United States? Yes Since Measles is still common in many countries, this disease will continue to be brought to the US. Throughout the US, there are communities with pockets of unvaccinated people who are vulnerable to Measles outbreaks. People who get Measles put others at risk who are not vaccinated.
How Do I know if I am Immune to Measles? Acceptable evidence of immunity includes at least one of the following:
- Written documentation of adequate vaccination: Two doses of measles-containing vaccine for school-aged children, college students, healthcare personnel and international travelers
- Laboratory evidence of immunity (blood tests that are done to confirm immune status)
IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF YOUR MEASLES IMMUNITY STATUS PLEASE CALL THE SHCC TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
Information provided by the CDC and AK Section of Epidemiology, 2015
HOT TOPICS !
Please call 786-4040 to avoid a $25.00 no show charge.
This charge will be assessed to your UAA student account
if no contact is made after a 10 minute grace period.
A voicemail message is acceptable. Please include date and time the call is made in the message.
.... We have GARDASIL9®. GARDASIL9 immunizes against HPV types 6,11,16,18,31,33,45,52,58 and helps prevent several types of cancer and genital warts.
Please call 907-786-4040 for an appointment and information.
For additional information ~ Please visit the CDC website NEW HPV Vaccine
Patient Assistance Program
Submit your application to the Student Health and Counseling Center to receive free Gardasil if approved by Merck Patient Assistance Program. Application could take 24 hours to process.
www.merckhelps.com or visit us in person to complete the application.
Call the Student Health and Counseling Center at 786-4040 with any questions.
Contraceptive Refills available online !!
In order to use this service you must have a current exam on file with us.
Use the online portal to submit your refill request. The refill will be ready for you at the health center within 72 hours.
1) Log-in using your username and password (same as UAA Blackboard log-in)
2) Select "Forms" located in the left margin. This will take you to the refill request.
3) Complete your answers and select the submit button
4) If you encounter technological difficulties with this process call us at 907-786-4040
Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 7:00pm
Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm