- Step 1: Complete the VONAPP
- Step 2: Apply for Admission
Apply for admission to the University of Alaska Anchorage to be a degree seeking student.
- The VA requires that students actively pursue a degree to utilize VA educational benefits.
- We are only able to certify a student as non-matriculated pending final admission in the university for 2 terms. The VA defines a term as courses that have different start/stop dates.
- Step 3: Register for Classes
- Step 4: Have you used your VA Benefits at another school?
For students who have used VA educational benefits at another institution: Complete the Request for Change of Place of Training Form.
- Veterans and service members complete the VA 22-1995.
- Dependents using Chapter 35 DEA benefits and those using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits complete the VA 22-5495.
- You may submit this form directly to the school or complete the form electronically through the VONAPP on eBenefits. If you complete the form electronically please submit a confirmation page to our office.
- Step 5: Request Certification
- Complete this form each semester you wish to use VA educational benefits at UAA.
- Please do not submit this form until you have completed your registration.
- Step 6: VA Student Responsibilities
Complete the VA Student Responsibilities form if you are new to UAA and will be using VA educational benefits.
- For new students: Your certification will not be processed with the VA until this form is completed and submitted to the Military & Veteran Student Services office.
- Step 7: Report of Change
- This form must be completed if you have made changes to your major, declared a minor, or changed your benefit type.
- Step 8: Military Transcripts
Submit required transcripts for admissions to include your military transcripts.
- Step 9: Certificate of Eligibility
Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA.
- You can be certified without this document. However, it will remain a requirement until received. (Exceptions apply to Chapter 35 beneficiaries)
- Please note for Chapter 33 beneficiaries: financial aid disbursements may be effected without a COE on file.
- Step 10: Maximize all Funding Resources
- Step 11: Check your preferred and UAA email!
Check your preferred and UAA email addresses frequently.
- Confirmation of certifications, issues with course applicability, and other important, time sensitive information will be sent to your preferred and UAA email addresses only.
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software