Transfer Students

Become a Seawolf. Welcome to UAA.

Join the University of Alaska Anchorage, the largest university in Alaska, which offers over 100 degree and certificate programs. Whether you are an active duty service member, veteran or family member, UAA is here to help you achieve your academic goals.

Transfer to UAA Today

If you’ve used your Veteran education benefits or military tuition assistance before and would like to transfer to UAA, check out the following resources and checklist.

UAA is an ArmyIgnitEd school and participates in the Air Force Education Portal and the My Career Advancement Program offered to spouses. UAA accepts DSST and CLEP exams and evaluates military training for degree-seeking students.

Seawolf Transfer Trail

Seawolf Transfer Trail logoLearn how your previous credits may transfer to UAA by using the Seawolf Transfer Trail tool. Easy to use, the Seawolf Transfer Trail is a quick way to get a good idea of how your previous academic work may transfer to your current goals at UAA.


Veteran Education Benefits

Checklist for those transferring to UAA and using Veteran Education Benefits. For more general information and details, see the Veteran Education Benefits page.

1Apply for admission to UAA.

Apply for admission to the University of Alaska Anchorage to be a degree-seeking student. The VA requires that students actively pursue a degree to utilize VA educational benefits. UAA is only able to certify a student as non-matriculated pending final admission in the university for two terms. The VA defines a term as courses that have different start/stop dates.

2Submit your transcript(s) to the UAA Office of Admissions.

Submit required transcripts for admissions, including your military transcripts.

3Register for classes.

Register for class using UAOnline. Remember, only the courses that are applicable to your degree program can be certified for VA benefits. 

It is highly suggested that you work with an academic advisor and refer to Degree Works to confirm that courses are applicable to your degree program.

Request certification.

Complete the  Summer 2024 Education Benefit Certification Request or Fall 2024 Education Benefit Certification RequestDo not submit this form until you have completed your registration.  

Maximize all funding resources.

You are strongly encouraged to complete the following applications in order to find more opportunities for funding but it is not required:

Also check out these external military scholarship opportunities.

Check your preferred and UAA email frequently.

Confirmation of certifications, issues with course applicability, and other important, time sensitive information will be sent to your preferred and UAA email addresses only.


Military Tuition Assistance

For a checklist on how to use your Military TA and other information about it, please see the Military Tuition Assistance page.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at