Costs and Financial Aid
Ranked eighth lowest for in-state tuition and fees, Alaska is an exceptional and affordable choice for higher education. The University of Alaska Anchorage places an emphasis on affordability. Along with keeping costs low, Financial Aid provides assistance in covering the cost of higher education.Get Financial Aid!
Tuition is determined by:
- the number of course credits
- the level (e.g., 100-level, 200-level) of the course
- the student's residency status
Students taking 4 or fewer credits are charged at the resident rate. There are many ways to get reduced or resident tuition. Students from certain western-region states may also be eligible for reduced tuition (WUE/WRGP).
For professional development course numbers, 500-599, tuition costs vary. Contact the academic department or refer to specific course listing on UAOnline.
|Undergraduate lower division
(course numbers 050-299)
|$202 per credit||$715 per credit|
|Undergraduate upper division
(course numbers 300-499)
|$244 per credit||$757 per credit|
(course numbers 600-699)
|$466 per credit||$979 per credit|
Certain colleges assess a tuition surcharge for certain courses.
- The College of Engineering (COEng) has a tuition surcharge of $49 per credit hour for upper division courses, and $93 per credit hour for graduate courses.
- The College of Business and Public Policy (CBPP) has a tuition surcharge of $49 per credit hour for upper division courses, and $93 per credit hour for graduate courses.
There are two types of enrollment based fees.
- Mandatory student fees are charged to students based on credit load (how many credits they are taking).
- Course fees are charged based on particular class types. For example, online courses have particular fees or lab classes may have individual lab fees to cover materials.
Mandatory Student Fees
Mandatory student fees are charged to all students (including secondary school students) registered for credit in at least 1 credit. The Aviation Complex, King Career Center and University Center are considered on-campus facilities for purposes of fee assessment. Student fees are not refundable unless the student totally withdraws during the 100 percent refund period. The following tables detail fee charging structures for fall and spring and for summer terms.
Course fees vary by course and are shown on the UAOnline detailed class information pages. To view fees for a specific class, go to the UAOnline Class Schedule Search and click on the class CRN.
- Administrative Fee: An administrative fee may be charged instead of tuition.
- eLearning Fee: $25 per credit is charged for each Anchorage campus distance course (section numbers starting with 2, 5 or 8 depending on the term).
- Lab and Materials Fees: These additional charges cover the costs of lab supplies. Refer to the specific class listing on UAOnline for more information on lab and material fees. These fees are not refundable unless the class is dropped during the 100 percent refund period.
- Network Charge: Four percent of tuition for academic year 2017-18. Covers rapidly rising costs, especially in the maintenance and enhancement of university-wide technology infrastructure. This fee will be applied on a course-by-course basis to tuition, nonresident surcharges if applicable, and fees in lieu of tuition, for credit and noncredit courses. Courses with applicable fees charged in lieu of tuition less than the lower division credit hour tuition rate ($183 for 2015-16) will be exempt from the charge. All calculated fees will be rounded to the nearest dollar.
- Special Fees: Special fees are assessed to pay for travel, equipment or facilities out of the ordinary.
The following fees are applicable in specific circumstances and do not apply to everyone.
- Continuous Registration Fee (graduate students): The continuous registration fee is $466 for 2017-18.
- Late Payment Fees: A $125 fee will be assessed on all accounts which are not paid by the payment deadline. An additional $175 fee will be assessed later in the semester on all accounts still outstanding. Students who pay for or drop their courses prior to the published payment deadline will not be assessed the fee. Find payment deadlines on the Registration Dates and Deadlines calendar.
- Parking Fee: Fee paid to use parking lots on campus each semester. Students may buy parking decals at uaa.thepermitstore.com. For more information, call 907-786-1119 or visit Parking Services.
Refund policies including petition for refund information can be found in the UAA Catalog.