Cost: Tuition and Fees
Tuition is determined by:
- the number of course credits
- the level (e.g., 100-level, 200-level) of the course
- the student's residency status
Students taking 4 or fewer credits are charged at the resident rate. There are many ways to get reduced or resident tuition. Students from certain western-region states may also be eligible for reduced tuition (WUE/WRGP).
For professional development course numbers, 500-599, tuition costs vary. Contact the academic department or refer to specific course listing on UAOnline.
Tuition Rates for 2022-23
Tuition rates unchanged from tuition 2021-22 rates.
|Undergraduate lower division
(course numbers 050-299)
|$234 per credit||$800 per credit||$351 per credit|
|Undergraduate upper division
(course numbers 300-499)
|$282 per credit||$848 per credit||$423 per credit|
(course numbers 600-699)
|$513 per credit||$1,079 per credit||$513 per credit|
Tuition Discounts for 2022–23
For 2022-23, UAA is offering the following opportunities:
- Students who live on campus receive a $1,000/semester housing discount.
- UA Scholars and Honors College students who live on campus receive a $750/semester housing discount (can be combined with the $1,000/semester general housing discount).
- Non-Alaska residents who live on campus and take at least nine credits, receive the resident tuition rate.
- Non-Alaska residents who take classes that are offered fully online, receive the resident tuition rate for those online classes.
Certain colleges assess a tuition surcharge for certain courses.
- The College of Engineering (COEng) has a tuition surcharge: 20% of tuition for undergraduate and graduate courses.
- The College of Business and Public Policy (CBPP) has a tuition surcharge: 20% of tuition for upper-division (300 and 400 level) undergraduate courses and all graduate courses.
There are two types of enrollment-based fees.
- Mandatory student fees are charged to students based on credit load (how many credits they are taking).
- Course fees are charged based on particular class types. For example lab classes may have individual lab fees to cover materials.
Mandatory Student Fees
Anchorage Campus Fee
The UAA Anchorage campus assesses a $36.50 per credit fee that starts when a student registers for one credit. The fee appears on a student’s account as “Anchorage Consolidated Fee” and it applies to all students, in all UAA Anchorage courses, regardless of the delivery mode or location.
As a member of the UAA Anchorage community, students have access to great resources, activities, programs and services provided by the mandatory consolidated student fee. This fee helps ensure that students receive a well-rounded educational experience that goes beyond the classroom, enhancing the co-curricular experience and improving the quality of campus life. Students are encouraged to take advantage of the services being provided by the consolidated student, which include:
- recreational use of the fitness facilities in the Seawolf Sports Complex;
- reduced ticket prices to big name musicians and comedians;
- free office visits at the Student Health and Counseling Center;
- opportunities to participate in student government;
- free or reduced admission to athletic events;
- use of ePortfolio software;
- sustainability initiatives;
- student radio station KRUA 88.1 FM and The Northern Light student newspaper;
- Call Team safety escorts, Seawolf shuttle service, and U-Pass municipal bus programs.
There are no waivers, including no senior citizen waivers, for the mandatory student fees. A small number of students take classes as a special program participant and their fees are determined according to the signed memorandum of agreement (e.g., middle colleges).
The UA Network Charge and the Facilities Fee will continue being assessed as separate fees.
Student fees are not refundable unless the student drops their course(s) during the 100 percent refund period. See the Registration website for dates and deadlines.
Supports facility renovation and infrastructure renewal. Revenue remains at the university from which the fee is collected. The Facilities fee is $6 per credit for students registered in one or more credits, regardless of delivery mode.
UA Network Charge
The network charge covers rapidly rising costs of the university-wide infrastructure. The network charge helps offset part of the cost for maintaining and enhancing the system network that connects all UA campuses to each other and to the Lower 48 and allows for Internet and research network access. Half of the fee goes to the UA statewide system for the operation of common networks and half remains at UAA to address local campus network and student access needs. The network charge will be applied on a course-by-course basis to tuition, non-resident surcharges if applicable, and fees in lieu of tuition for credit and noncredit courses. Courses with applicable fees in lieu of tuition less than the lower division credit hour tuition rate will be exempt from the charge. All calculated fees will be rounded to the nearest dollar. The minimum network charge per course will be $3.
The UA Network Charge is 4% of tuition for students registered in one or more credits.
Undergraduate lower division
$9 per credit
$32 per credit
$13 per credit
Undergraduate upper division
$11 per credit
$33 per credit
$16 per credit
$21 per credit
$43 per credit
$21 per credit
Course fees vary by course and are shown on the UAOnline detailed class information pages. To view fees for a specific class, go to the UAOnline Class Schedule Search and click on the class CRN.
- Administrative Fee: An administrative fee may be charged instead of tuition.
- Lab and Materials Fees: These additional charges cover the costs of lab supplies. Refer to the specific class listing on UAOnline for more information on lab and material fees. These fees are not refundable unless the class is dropped during the 100 percent refund period.
- Special Fees: Special fees are assessed to pay for travel, equipment or facilities out of the ordinary.
The following fees are applicable in specific circumstances and do not apply to everyone.
- Continuous Registration Fee (graduate students): The continuous registration fee is the same amount as tuition for one resident graduate credit.
- Late Payment Fees: A $125 fee will be assessed on all accounts which are not paid by the payment deadline. An additional $175 fee will be assessed later in the semester on all accounts still outstanding. Students who pay for or drop their courses prior to the published payment deadline will not be assessed the fee. Find payment deadlines on the Registration Dates and Deadlines calendar.
- Parking Fee: Fee paid to use parking lots on campus each semester. Students may buy parking decals at uaa.thepermitstore.com. For more information, call 907-786-1119 or visit Parking Services.
Refund policies including petition for refund information can be found in the UAA Catalog.