Office 365 ProPlus
The Office 365 ProPlus program allows current University of Alaska students, staff, and faculty to download the latest versions of Microsoft Office software at no cost. All available applications (dependent upon device) may be installed on up to 5 computers, 5 tablets, and 5 smartphones. The desktop applications are available for download using your UA Username (e.g. UaUsername@alaska.edu) and password on the Office 365 site (Windows and macOS only).
Refer to the following table for available applications for your computing device.
|Skype for Business|
How to get it
For desktop applications on Windows and macOS follow the directions below. It is strongly recommend that you download the software on the device you want to install it on, and in a time and place where you have sufficient connectivity to the Internet that you can download a multi-gigabyte file. Please note you will only be able to download software that is compatible with the operating system you are using at the time you attempt the download. If you desire to install software for a different operating system you will need to sign in from that device and download the applicable installer.
- Open a web browser and go to Office 365.
- Once there, sign in with your UA Username (e.g. UaUsername@alaska.edu) and password.
- After you have successfully signed in, in the upper right corner click on your avatar icon, then click on My account.
- Under the section labeled Install status click Manage installs.
- Click the Install desktop applications link.
- Click the Install button to begin downloading the software.
- After the download has completed, run the Office installer file in your Downloads folder and follow the steps to install Office.
- To active Office on your device, sign in with your UA Username and password.
To find available applications for your mobile device, you can search for the name of the application in the Apple App Store, or Google Play Store. Click on one of the links below to go directly to the application download location:
Who can get it
Office 365 ProPlus applications are available at not cost for all current UA students, staff, and faculty.
Students who are no longer taking classes with the university and/or have graduated will no longer have access to the ProPlus software. Students will receive a notification their subscriptions has ended and can choose to continue their subscription on their own; however, they will be responsible for paying for the subscription. Additionally, individual's will no longer be able to access their university affiliated OneDrive for Business storage.
- As a faculty/staff member, which version of Microsoft Office should I use?
Depending on how your device is managed, you should use a different version of the software. Follow the recommendations below for clarification on which software you should use.
- Managed by campus IT Services: Do not download software via the Office 365 ProPlus program. You are covered through the campus license and campus IT staff will install all needed software.
- Managed by departmental IT Professional: Consult your IT Professional for their recommendation and assistance with the setup process.
For your computers and devices that are not owned by the university, you should use software available through the Office 365 ProPlus program.
- How many devices can I install Office 365 ProPlus on?
You can install Office 365 ProPlus applications on the following:
- Desktop/Laptop Computers (macOS/Windows): 5
- Tablets: 5
- Smartphones: 5
You can manage check, and revoke, device licenses on the Office 365 Manage installs page.
- Do I need a license key for Office 365 ProPlus applications?No. Applications are activated per device during the setup process for software downloaded from the Office 365 Mange installs page, as well as the Apple App Store, and Google Play store, when you sign in to the application using your UA Username (e.g. UaUsername@alaska.edu) and password.
- I recently purchased Microsoft Office for my personal use. Can I be reimbursed?No. As you made a consumer purchase for a Microsoft product, UA has no way to reimburse the purchase.
- Can I continue to use Office 365 ProPlus applications after I graduate or leave the
After leaving the university, you no longer will have access to the applications associated with your university identity. You will receive a notification that your subscription has ended and can choose to continue the subscription on your own. However, you will be responsible for the paying for the subscription costs.
- Where can I download software?
Software can be download from one of three locations depending upon the type of device you desire to install the software on. See the list below for options.
- Desktop/Laptop Computers (macOS/Windows): Office 365 portal
- Apple iOS: App Store
- Android: Google Play Store
Need additional help or have issues
For additional assistance contact the IT Services Techncial Support Center via phone at (907) 786-4646, toll-free at (877) 633-3888, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.