Commencement is an age-old academic tradition where regalia is worn and students are publicly recognized and congratulated for their achievements. It is an opportunity to celebrate student success with friends, family and the community.Visit the Commencement website
Meet some of our recent #uaamazing graduates
Invite Spirit to your special event.
UAA departments and community groups can request the use of the mascot costume for any event (rally, festival, parade, etc).
- Please note that University Advancement will not provide someone to wear the costume—it is up to each group to recruit someone to wear the suit. It fits best on someone 5’8” or taller.
- Read through the usage rules below for more information.
- Check the calendar to see if the suit is available for your event.
- Complete the request form below.
- You will be notified by email if your request is approved. Not all requests will be granted. UAA-related activities will take priority in the scheduling of Spirit.
- If your request is approved, you can pick up the mascot between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at UAA’s Administrative/Humanities Building, 3680 Alumni Drive, Suite 236 (map).
- For questions, contact Bridgett Dyson at email@example.com or (907) 786-1013.
UAA Spirit Mascot Rules
- Be a positive representative of UAA and of UAA’s school spirit.
- Never break character. Children especially will see you as the “real” thing.
- No part of your body should be seen while in character.
- Do not remove any part of the costume while in view of an audience. (For example: Don’t remove the head in order to cool off unless you are in a private place.)
- If you need to rest, please go to a private area to do so.
- Do not allow anyone other than the assigned person to try on the costume.
- Do not use the costume to scare or intimidate anyone, especially children.
- Please provide an escort for Spirit to assist in moving through crowds and navigating an area.
- Never speak while in character.
- Do not use lewd or obscene gestures.
- Use extreme caution when working with children.
- Drink plenty of water prior to getting into costume.
- Do not consume alcohol before or while in costume.
- Do not hold signs of any kind.
- Do not dress Spirit in any clothing or accessories that have not been provided to you by UAA’s Office of Advancement.
- Do not stay in the costume for more than 30 minutes at a time in order to prevent heat exhaustion.
Welcome to UAA!
Staff and Faculty Welcome
Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016
Wells Fargo Sports Complex
Join Chancellor Tom Case as we welcome a new academic year at UAA! Reconnect with colleagues, celebrate the successes and milestones of our UAA family and hear an update from Chancellor Case and President Johnsen.
3 p.m. Reception
4 p.m. Program and Q & A
Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016
Wendy Williamson Auditorium
2533 Providence Drive
3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
Kick off your academic journey at UAA! Chancellor Tom Case invites you to be inspired by student-led performances, hear stories from UAA alumni and enjoy a special message from Olympian Kikkan Randall. Stick around after Convocation to enjoy live entertainment, vendor booths and free food at Campus Kickoff.
Everyone is invited - new and returning students, UAA staff and faculty!
Tom Case, Chancellor
Dale Tran, B.B.A. Marketing, 2016, CFO, Kaladi Bros. Coffee,
UAA Cello Brigade
UAA Glee Club