There are two awards available: The Arlene Kuhner Memorial Scholarship, which offers financial assistance towards tuition and other related educational expenses; and the English Book Award which offers financial assistance towards the purchase of textbooks. Both can only be awarded to a student with a declared major in English at the University of Alaska Anchorage. More details are below.
The Arlene Kuhner Memorial Scholarship
- Recipient should demonstrate academic excellence
- Recipient must be in good academic standing with at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Recipient must be a student attending the University of Alaska Anchorage
- Recipient must have a declared major in English
- Recipient must take a minimum of six credits per semester
- In the event that two or more students are equally qualified for the scholarship, the scholarship will be awarded to the student with the most financial need
- Preference will be given to students who have been in residence at UAA for at least a year
The English Book Award
- Applicants must be attending UAA (Anchorage Campus)
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0
- Applicants must be formally admitted into an undergraduate or graduate degree-seeking English program with emphasis in literature.
- Undergraduate applicants must enroll with at least twelve credits in order to be eligible.
- Graduate applicants must enroll with at least nine credits to be eligible.
- Applicant must be enrolled in the semester for which the award is made.
- Applicant may be a U.S. citizen, non-U.S. citizen, Alaska resident, or out-of-state resident.
To apply for these scholarships please make sure you meet all of the qualifications above, then log in to the secured area of UAOnline to complete the electronic scholarship application. Preference is given to students who submit a one-page application explaining their financial needs, academic qualifications, and post-graduation plans.