Construction management B.S.
Explore the construction management bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Developed with input from Alaska contractors and professional industry organizations,
UAA’s construction management bachelor’s degree program teaches you to manage the
construction process from a business perspective. Graduates are prepared for the most
in-demand construction management careers in Alaska and around the world, and bachelor’s
degree alumni have a nearly 100 percent job placement rate.
What you’ll learn in the construction management program
The bachelor’s degree in construction management combines architecture, business and engineering. You’ll learn to manage construction crews, develop cost-effective construction plans and monitor work progress while ensuring design compliance. You’ll also develop essential communication, time management and multitasking skills.
Associated Schools of Construction competition
Apply your estimating, scheduling and proposal skills to real-world challenges. Each year the Associated Schools of Construction hosts a competition in Sparks, Nevada, in which teams from all over the country compete to solve a construction problem. The UAA team has a long track record of success, taking home second place in 2009, first place in 2011 and a second and third place win in 2016.
Construction management scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. UAA offers a variety of scholarship opportunities and other types of financial assistance you may apply for when you major in construction management. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
According to U.S. News and World Report, construction management is the fastest growing major in the United States.
What can you do with a construction management degree from UAA?
Construction management is a growing and dynamic field. In a recent listing of the
top 100 highest paying jobs in Alaska, construction management placed in the top 20
with an expected 1,100 job openings in Alaska.
Construction management careers
Construction managers work in all sectors of the construction industry, on everything from small residential projects to skyscrapers, highways and bridges. Alumni of UAA’s bachelor’s degree program are prepared for a variety of professional-level employment opportunities in construction companies, construction management consulting firms, utility companies, government agencies and more.
By the numbers..
Construction management bachelor’s degree program highlights
With close connections to the local construction industry and extensive on-the-job learning experiences, the bachelor’s degree in construction management provides opportunities to prepare you for real-world careers:
- Get hands-on construction management experience. Required internships offer unique opportunities to learn construction management principles on the job. Internship projects have included demolition of the Eklutna Dam, reconstruction of Dalton Highway and other road work initiatives and work with a local military base. Learn more about construction management internships.
- Learn from top industry professionals. UAA faculty bring extensive professional construction and technology experience to the classroom in areas such as architecture, civil engineering and construction law. Small class sizes promote close mentorship and one-on-one interaction.
- Take part in the UAA Construction Management Club. This active club organizes and takes part in prestigious national competitions and facilitates a variety of networking events and opportunities with area professionals. Visit the construction management Facebook page.
- Work in state-of-the-art facilities. The construction management program uses three computer labs as classrooms, each of which contain the most up-to-date computer and networking technology.
Amazing stories from construction management majors
Without the construction management program I definitely wouldn’t even be close to where I am now. This has pretty much set up my whole life. It’s a great job in an industry that will never go away.
Construction management bachelor’s degree program curriculumThe bachelor’s degree in construction management provides a broad knowledge of construction processes and techniques. Students learn about basic business principles as well as technical and operational aspects of the construction industry. Alumni are prepared to work in the construction office and on the job site.
Top classes for construction management majors
- Mechanical and Electrical Technology
- Financial Management for Construction
- Construction Management Professional Practice
- Construction Equipment Management and Methods
- Advanced Construction Management Internship