AA to BA - Elementary Education
Explore the Elementary Education AA to BA program
Achieve your elementary education dreams and open the doorway to certification through
the articulated Associates to Bachelors program between the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA)
and the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF). The Associate of Arts (AA) to Bachelor
of Arts (BA) in Elementary Education program provides a pathway to an elementary teaching career
through a partnership with UAF. Students complete the AA, which includes the first
two years of required coursework, on any UAA campus or online. Upon completion, students transfer
seamlessly, guided by a formal Articulation Agreement with UAF, completing their bachelor's
degree via a combination of coursework offered face to face in Anchorage and distance-delivered
through UAF, and supervised fieldwork and internship experiences in their local school
Upon completion of the full program, UAF provides a CAEP accredited institutional recommendation for a certificate in Kindergarten to 8th grade teaching to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development, the department responsible for granting teaching certifications.
What can you do with this Articulated Associates to Bachelors degree program?
Elementary Education Careers Include
- Elementary school teacher
- Pre-school teacher
- Middle school teacher (requires demonstration of content area knowledge)
Articulated Associates to Bachelors degree program highlights
Begin with a solid base of general education requirements, then transfer to complete specialized coursework and supervised field-based experiences in your home community.
- Develop the broad knowledge base needed to teach children in K-8 school settings
- Receive high-quality instruction from nationally renowned faculty, all of whom have several years of work experience in K-8 classrooms.
- Receive coordinated and supportive advising from UAA and UAF advisors.
- Get additional help and guidance from campus resources to help you succeed. Learn more about UAA’s speech lab, supplemental instruction, writing center and peer tutors, just to name a few.
Elementary Education Curriculum
Get the full college experience with high-quality classroom instruction and flexible
course offerings — and earn credit toward a bachelor’s degree. UAA’s articulated associate
of arts degree program enables you to build your knowledge and skills base while completing
two years of the UAF Elementary Education bachelor’s degree requirements.
Enhance the experience by selecting from a variety of academic opportunities, from undergraduate research and education abroad to civic engagement and service learning. The Associate of Arts degree at UAA is intentionally and cooperatively aligned to the UAF program, ensuring that students can graduate on time.
Top classes for Elementary Education
- Survey the diverse cultural worlds of Alaska Native peoples in Alaska Native Perspectives.
- Explore the core practices of working with children in Introduction to Education.
- Get a broad base of understanding the main content areas associated with elementary education: Math, Language Arts, Social Studies and Science.