You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Language education graduate certificate
Explore the language education graduate certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
The graduate certificate in language education provides advanced training related
to working with language learners from preschool to grade six. The program is grounded
in a scholarly practitioner model that emphasizes research-based practices and practical
experiences you can apply directly to your career in education. The language education
program at UAA is approved by the State of Alaska Department of Education and Early
Concentrations in the language education program
UAA offers a concentration in English as a Second Language (ESL) and Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy for students who are seeking one of the following:
- Institutional recommendation for an English as a Second Language (ESL) endorsement on a current teacher certificate
- Advanced preparation in ESL for increasing professional performance in community programs
Language education scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. UAA offers a variety of scholarships and other forms of financial assistance you may qualify for as a graduate school student at UAA. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
What can you do with a language education certificate from UAA?
Alumni of UAA’s graduate certificate in language education are leading teachers in
Alaska and worldwide who have drastically revised classroom practice as a result of
this program. Language education alumni have also gone on to engage in research, conduct
district-level staff development training and complete master’s and doctoral degrees.
Several have earned awards such as the Denali Teacher Award and Teacher of the Year.
Language education graduate programs
- The graduate certificate in language education provides a concentration and counts as 18 credits toward the M.Ed. in teaching and learning
Language education careers
- ESL teachers in public, K-12 schools and international schools abroad
- ELL case managers
- Mentor teachers
Language education graduate certificate program highlights
Combining excellence in research and practice, the graduate certificate in language education is an excellent option for students who teach languages in public or private settings in the United States and around the world. The following are some of the top reasons to choose UAA for your graduate program in language education.
- Apply coursework directly to your career. Throughout the language education program, you’ll have opportunities to use coursework to guide your ongoing classroom planning and practice.
- Engage in research projects involving your own classroom practice. Research projects focus on generating knowledge of effective classroom practice with an emphasis on theory-based inquiry into teaching and learning with English language learners and Alaska Native children.
- Work closely with top faculty. UAA faculty are language education leaders with expertise in STEAM-based classroom practices that focus on inquiry for English learners and Alaska Native students.
- Build your professional network. As a part of the language education program, you’ll have the chance to network with other students through classroom-based collaborations on curriculum revisions and district-level projects.
Language education graduate certificate program curriculumLanguage education classes focus on inquiry within language, literacy and content-area disciplines, including science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM.) You’ll obtain a broad perspective of research that supports effective classroom practices for English learners. You’ll also learn to be a critical consumer of literature in the field and engage in research on your own classroom practice. The program emphasizes approaches that foster culturally sustaining and revitalizing pedagogies for English learners and Alaska Native students.
Top classes for language education students
- Action Research Experience: Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy for English Language Learners in P-6 Class
- Teaching English as a Second Language in Secondary Schools
- Culture, Language and Literacy