Explore the marketing bachelor’s degree at the University of Alaska AnchorageIn UAA’s marketing bachelor’s degree program you’ll gain the skills to succeed in a 21st-century marketplace driven by social media and data analytics. You’ll also work with local community partners and learn how to put into practice what you learn in the classroom.
The marketing program emphasizes community-engaged learning and facilitates projects that let you develop marketing initiatives for local Alaska businesses. These are opportunities to learn first-hand the unique challenges of the Alaska business world while giving back to the community.
Networking and career development
As a marketing major you’ll have a variety of networking opportunities with the local business community. UAA’s student-run Management and Marketing Club also hosts professional networking events and offers other valuable career development opportunities in the Anchorage area and beyond. Check out the UAA Management and Marketing Club Facebook page.
Marketing scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition costs and education expenses. UAA offers scholarships specifically for marketing majors, including the American Marketing Association Scholarship and the CBPP Marketing Scholarship. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
What can you do with a bachelor’s degree in marketing?
Marketing is critical to any business for engaging customers, increasing sales and
building successful brands. UAA marketing alumni are thinkers and doers who are uniquely
prepared to meet the marketing challenges in Alaska and succeed in a dynamic, data-driven
business world. That’s why employers and graduate programs alike are eager to welcome
UAA marketing program alumni.
Marketing graduate programs
- Master’s in Communication
- Master’s in Integrated Marketing Communication
- Master’s in Corporate Communication
- Ph.D. in Marketing
- Ph.D. in Communication
- Marketing Manager
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Sales Manager
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Sales Representative
- Advertising and Promotions Manager
- Public Relations Director
- Account Executive
- Creative Director
- Communications Specialist
- Corporate Communication Director
By the numbers..
Marketing bachelor’s degree program highlights
The program is specifically designed to address the marketplace demand for UAA graduates, meaning you’ll be better positioned for jobs and graduate opportunities when you earn your bachelor’s degree. These are just a few of the opportunities you can look forward to as a marketing major at UAA:
- Prepare for today’s marketing careers. UAA marketing graduates are well prepared to enter a marketplace dominated by social media and data analytics. The program also addresses the needs and wants of the local community through experiential learning and coursework.
- Apply what you learn while helping others. Internships and community-engaged learning offer opportunities to apply marketing lessons in the real world, connect with local professionals and serve the community. Recent community projects include designing content for Clear Alaskan Glacial bottled water and developing a marketing strategy for Alaska Rock Gym. Internships often involve working with Anchorage-area marketing agencies and companies such as Alaska Airlines, assisting with market research and communications.
- Work closely with expert faculty. You’ll learn from top marketing professionals who bring diverse research experience to the classroom, in areas such as integrated marketing communication, artificial intelligence and consumer behavior. UAA faculty members are also active leaders in the community and in organizations such as the American Marketing Association and Alaska Chapter Board of Directors.
Amazing stories from marketing majors
One of the most valuable parts of getting an education is gaining transferable skills. While pursuing my degree in marketing at UAA, I gained hands-on experience developing marketing plans and pitching those ideas to real businesses, conducting focus groups and creating content that's communicable and visually pleasing. All of these hands-on experiences left me with skills that I have already put into practice, less than a year after graduating.
Marketing bachelor’s degree program curriculumThe UAA marketing program covers topics such as consumer behavior, communications, branding, advertising strategies and approaches to successful retail management. You’ll also learn about social media and data analytics. The program begins by covering broad marketing principles. From there it moves into consumer behavior and business research, followed by analytics and content marketing.
Top classes for marketing majors
- Globalization and Business Environment: Examine the external contexts such as ethics, law, politics and social issues that businesses operate in.
- Marketing Management: Simulate the development and management of a business as a senior member of management within a computer-simulated market.
- Marketing Media Analytics: Introduce yourself to the world of marketing media analytics and understand how a business tracks the data specific to their use of social media, how and where to share information and how marketing impacts business.