Nondestructive Testing Technology Occupational Endorsement Certificate
Explore the Nondestructive Testing Technology certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
This program focuses on the latest technology and methods in Nondestructive Testing
(NDT). You’ll take courses with a strong emphasis on ultrasonic testing and radiographic
testing processes. You’ll also be trained using state-of-the-art equipment with one-on-one
guidance from highly skilled welding and NDT professionals. A total of 20 credits
and two industry-recognized welding qualifications are required to complete the occupational
UAA’s Destructive/Nondestructive Testing facility includes:
- New ultrasonic testing units and transducers for straight bean an shear wave testing
- X-Ray tubes
- Film development chemical stations
- Black rooms
- Serialized indication and discontinuity molds
- Magnaflux wet Particle Inspection
- Dry Magnetic Particle yokes
- Dye Penetrant Testing stations
- Tensile pulling equipment
- Hardness Testers
- Diamond Polishers
- Metallurgical microscopes
- Charpy V-Notch testers
- Wrap-around bend test specimen equipment
- AWS, API, ASME and ASNT code reference library
Scholarships and Financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. UAA offers a number of scholarships and other types of financial assistance you may be eligible for in the Nondestructive Testing Technology program. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
A recent graduate was hired by Kakivik, a subsidiary of Bristol Bay Native Corp., for an NDT RT technician position in Darwin, Australia. He continues to work with the company, traveling the world to perform inspections on a variety of major infrastructure projects.
What can you do with a certificate in Nondestructive Testing Technology?
The NDT program prepares you to work as an entry-level technician in welding and nondestructive
examination. Both of these fields are used in construction, communications, manufacturing
and transportation industries throughout the world.
Nondestructive testing technology careers
Graduates of this program find careers in a variety of industries including oil and gas, mining, construction and manufacturing. Employers of past UAA alumni include:
- Acuren Industrial Services
- Alaska Industrial X-Ray
- Alaska Department of Transportation
- Army Corps of Engineers
- Artic Slope Regional Corp
Nondestructive Testing Technology certificate program highlights
With extensive hands-on learning experiences, a state-of-the-art inspection facility, and industry ASNT Level ll/Level lll instructors, the NDT certificate program prepares you to work in diverse industries in Alaska and around the world.
- Work closely with expert instructors. Program instructors are all American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level ll or Level lll Technicians and Certified Welding Inspectors (CWIs), with many years in industry experience. Faculty also specialize in many different inspection procedures and have numerous industry connections around the country.
- Earn industry certifications. The welding facility is an authorized Accredited Testing Facility (ATF) under the American Welding Society (AWS). This allows for testing and certification that are required for major infrastructure projects in the state.
- Open new career options. All credits from the nondestructive testing technology O.E.C. can be transferred toward an A.A.S. in Technology.
Amazing stories from NDT majors
The University of Alaska Anchorage’s welding and nondestructive testing program has helped me obtain a wide range of technical knowledge in welding applications and procedures. Both welding and NDT are highly utilized in the construction and manufacturing industry around the world. Already at the young age of 20 I’ve been provided opportunities around the state that I feel well prepared for because of the courses I have taken in this program. I feel confident to perform welding procedures in thermal cutting processes, Ultrasonic Testing as an entry level technician, Radiography and other NDT methods.
NDT Occupational Endorsement Certificate program curriculumNondestructive testing courses examine metallic components and weldments to locate and evaluate indications and/or discontinuities. Topics include liquid dye penetrant (PT), magnetic particle (MT), radiographic (RT) and ultrasonic testing (UT) methods. American Welding Society (AWS) and American Petroleum Institute (API) d.1.1 and 1104 code book interpretations. Qualification in each NDT method is based on general, specific and practical examinations administered as prescribed in the American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A.
Top classes for NDT majors
- Magnetic Particle Testing
- Radiographic Testing
- Ultrasonic Testing